Lost with so many options

Sorry to bother you with yet another is this a good laptop ? Brian.  I have read through many post on this subject and your guide, which has been very helpful in identifying what I should be looking for, and I have come up with some options, but not sure I have it right, or what the best option is.  I have looked at Dell XPS, but their specs on the new XPS 15 don't say that the screens are IPS.  

So I'm looking at Lenovo who seem to have lots of IPS screens on their laptop configurations, and options at a better price. 

https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/workstations/finance-industry/ThinkPad-P52s/p/20LBA02EAU - I would replace the SSD with a larger 1-2 TB after purchase

Does the 45% gamut on the display affect this option

Graphics card only 2gb

https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/yoga/yoga-c-series/Lenovo-Yoga-C740-15/p/81TD0045AU 

Does the integrated graphics rule this out? 

The display looked like it would be better than the option above, and comes with a larger SSD

https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series-laptops/Legion-5i-15/p/81Y6006LAU - I think this might be the best option? 

I believe I could even upgrade / increase the memory in this

Not sure whether the split hard drive has any negative implications? 

Hope I'm on the right track, and appreciate any feedback or suggestions you could offer. 

Thanks 

11 hours ago, Lenny said:

Does the 45% gamut on the display affect this option

Yeah, that number really sucks. Even though it's IPS, it's not a high-quality IPS screen. You really want to be at 90% or higher. Well, Damien has worked on screens that were 70% and from what I remember he said, something like, "...as long as you don't really need your colors to be accurate, say you do Macro Flower Photography, and just edit globally, you could get away with it. As long as you take things with a grain of salt." (or something along those lines.)  Of course, from my POV, I want at the very least 85% but you really-really-really want 90% or better.

Does the integrated graphics rule this out? 

Yep. When it comes to Adobe's current products, if you want the best experience, you need dedicated graphics memory

I think this might be the best option? 

I believe I could even upgrade / increase the memory in this

Not really. I do not like that 256GB main boot drive. At all. Way too small and you'll be in here within the next 6 months wondering why your PS is complaining about the scratch disk and why is your brand new laptop so slow.

Bottom Line: At least 500GB, preferably 1TB for the main boot drive. 

In reality, all three that you linked to, I'd pass on for Photoshop work. They are so close, but just miss the mark, and for the money you have to fork out in OZ, it's just not worth it.

God...I hate laptops. The good news is, if you wait 3 weeks, there should be another round of models to choose from. :)

OK, I'm exaggerating...4 weeks.

PS: Kudos to you for checking the fine print!! You just saved yourself a ton of money and hassle.

Thanks so much for the response Brian, glad I checked with you. 

I'm wanting to update to a new laptop to then work my way through Damien's classes, and thought I'd look for an end of financial year sale discount. 

Based on what you've said about new models coming out in about 4 weeks, I'll probably hold off to see what's around then.  There might be start of financial year or new release specials around then I guess and most retail seems to be constantly on sale these days. 

COVID19 has screwed EVERYTHING UP, since everything comes from China. Not just the brands, but the individual components themselves that make up everything. When it come to laptops, i really like the Asus Republic of Gamers Line. In fact, Damien owns one of these laptops, and if I were to buy one today, this is what I would buy. (It's a new release, and isn't available yet, but I would look for that model on your side of the world.)

Thanks very much Brian, I appreciate you taking the time to post the link to the ASUS.  

It is a little tricky trying to guess how things are going to play out over the next 6-12 months with COViD19 and supply of lots of things. 

I will look out for the model you suggested to come out here in the next few weeks, it reads like a good unit.  Do you know if there is a version coming out that has a larger memory capacity?  This model says maximum capacity of 24mb

I know your guide says 16mb as a minimum, so I'm happy to start with that, but something that either comes with or can be upgraded to 32 to 64gb would be good. 

I have read your post where you talk about the increased processing load from your new camera which outputs 100mb image files, so I should try to future proof to some extent, because while I'm still happy shooting on my 5d mark iii in the next couple of years I might get tempted by some of the new technology coming through in cameras as well. 

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

Do you know if there is a version coming out that has a larger memory capacity?  This model says maximum capacity of 24mb

Who knows? I'm sure there will be another model to replace this model in a few months. That's the nature of laptops.

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

so I should try to future proof to some extent,

You really can't "Future Proof" a laptop. Other than spending $1000 more than what you are comfortable with. Which is insane.

That being said, the biggest obstacle when it comes to a laptop longetivity isn't the lack of HD or RAM or CPU power...it's the stupid batteries. Lithium-Ion batteries only last a certain amount of time and then die. Just like your Smart Phone only seems to last about two years or so, laptops also follow this pattern. Yes, even if you leave them plugged in all the time. The reason is due to the amount of charging cycles the batteries are rated for. Each time you plug in a device, whether it's for 5 min or 5 hours, that's "1 charging cycle." So if the battery is rated for 500 charging cycles, and hits around that number, battery performance starts to wain. That's why your phone battery lasts all day when you first get it, and a year later the maximum battery capacity is 80%, even though your phone says "100%." How laptops work is that it's always feeding off the battery, the AC power is just recharging the power being used. So unless you physically remove the battery from the laptop, there will always be wear-and-tear on the battery, it's just from normal use. Now I'm sure you are thinking, "...but I can just remove the battery! Problem solved!" Well, yes and no. Most new laptops today are practically sealed units. You can't remove the battery nor can you replace it. Why? It gets you back into the market sooner rather than later. Manufacturers don't make money if you keep your laptop for 8 years. They want you buying a new one every 18-24 months. 

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

I might get tempted by some of the new technology coming through in cameras as well. 

Here is the dirty secret with High Megapixel cameras...you just don't have to worry about the laptop/computer, but the whole ecosystem. Memory Cards, Larger Hard Drives, Faster Computers, Better Lensex...my D850 cost me so much money!! Like spending $7000+ just to support it. I had to buy two new lenses, larger XQD cards, a 12TB HD and replace my iMac. Then I found out that 32GB wasn't "enough." I had to max it out to 64GB!! In reality, I probably shouldn't have bought the D850, but I was looking for a smaller camera than my D4s. Looking back, I should have picked up a Nikon Z6 and 24-70 f/2.8 S lens. Oh well. 

Remember, 24GB is the most that "Gamers" need when it comes to RAM. There really isn't a huge difference between 16GB and 24GB when it comes to video games and performance. That's why it's not 32GB. Of course, this could change next month. If you do get that laptop that I recommended, I would just go ahead and get 24GB. In reality, there isn't too much of a difference between 24GB and 32GB...except if you really bump up in MP on your camera. 16MP or less, 24GB is fine. 20MP Cameras should also be fine with 24GB-32GB. It's when you get to 45MP or above should you really be thinking around 64GB (or more.)