Mac running slow

Naomi B

Hi My mac is old and photoshop and bridge are running slow, i have put in a SSD 1T about 18mths ago, can i upgrade my RAM or should i investing in a new computer? thanks

It's too bad that you didn't max out the RAM when you upgraded the HD. Your model will need to be completely taken apart, and I mean completely, to add more RAM as the slots are located on the backside if the iMac and there isn't an access panel. Your iMac also maxes out at 16GB, which is the bare-minimum that I recommend for today's Photoshop. In reality, you are looking at buying a new computer. Putting in another $300-$400 (RAM & Labor to install the RAM) doesn't make sense for an 8 year old computer.

Whatever you do, please don't ever buy a 21.5" model again. If you bought a 27 instead, then we could have increased the RAM easily.

Right. That’s because you probably chose the lowest priced 27” iMac. You need to start with the most expensive one, usually the one in the right column. That particular version will allow you the most configuration options and those options will be cheaper. Yep. You read that correctly. If you choose a lower priced iMac, and upgrade something like the HD, you will pay more for that upgrade than you would if you configured it with a lower prices iMac.

Again, Apple wants you to “Go Big or Go Home.” 

For example, upgrade the HD on a lower 27” iMac. Then do the same for the most expensive model. You will see you are paying $100 more for the same exact hard drive. You are being penalized for choosing a lower end iMac! 

Really what you need to do is save up a bit more and start with the top level 27” iMac. It will come with a better video card built in. A faster CPU, etc. Then upgrade the HD to a 1TB SSD model. Do not upgrade the RAM as Apple’s prices are insanely over-priced when it comes to RAM. You can keep the CPU the same to save some cash. 

After you get your new IMac, purchase a 32GB kit from a 3rd Party like Crucial.com or one in OZ. You can upgrade the RAM yourself in about 10 min. Yes, you can do this, I’ve coached Moms who have had 4 year olds running around when doing it, it’s not hard at all. 

Why do it this way? Because instead of spending $600+ to get it to 16GB, we can spend around $150 to get it to 40GB! Well, prices in OZ are way more expensive, but I think you will get what I mean. 

Software options...no, I do not care what software advertises to increase RAM capacity, it never  truly works. What it does is take a chunk of the HD to act as RAM. It doesn’t work. All you are doing is throwing money away. 

Excellent thank you, so ill come back here to ask how to install the memory card? ive purchased items form B&H in the US before it will be about $180 AUS, ill try find it here first i think