Tis the Season to upgrade

dex

I know this question has been probably asked a thousand times before. I'm unfortunately lost. I have the opportunity through a client to upgrade for around $800. I can opt for a Nikon D7100 bundle which seems to include a few things that I'm being told I'm not going to use/need (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D7100-DSLR-Camera-18-55mm-VR-NIKKOR-Lens-30-Piece-Accessory-Bundle-/221581488396?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368). OR I can pick my own. I've never touched a DSLR but I do play with the manual settings on my current camera. I can't shoot RAW, my editing process seems endless, and my OCD isn't satisfied with the clarity. I'm lost and I need advice.  I never intended to get into photography and started out as a graphic/print designer and fell into photography doing pictures of tools for flyers because the ones vendors supplied were *blech*. I purchased a Fuji Fine Pix S4250WM. It was great in the beginning. Then I started doing portraits, newborns, kids, families, senior portraits, etc. I wanted better. Now I have the chance to upgrade before a wedding in September and use the time in between to learn my new gear. I am a very technical *geeky* person, fast learner, and all self taught. I don't necessarily NEED the latest and greatest, but who doesn't WANT it right? As soon as I bought my Finepix I regretted it within months. All the limitations were ridiculous to what I wanted to do. I'd like to find a decent bundle suited for what I do so that I'm not stuck buying lenses and stuff after the fact. I also want something I'm not going to necessarily want to upgrade right away either. I feel stuck professionally and I want to jump that hurdle. It's a make it or break it kind of year for me.  I know there will be a huge curve in things I'm going to have to learn.  I'm prepared for that challenge.  Any suggestions? I definitely want a Nikon body and I've been told a 50mm f1.8 is what I will want for portraits.

Edited by dex

Gosh, I'm not sure what to advise. 

I guess the first thing I'd want to ask is who's wedding is this? Are you doing it just as a favor to a friend (who knows you don't own a DSLR) and it's a relatively small event? or have you been approached by a potential client and will be paid for this? You need to make sure that their expectations are inline with your skill level and what you can offer. 

Which brings me to my 2nd point - it's fine to get an older camera, but you need the best glass you can get. The types of lenses you use are what make the difference in the different types of shots you'll be able to get. Do you want a long focal length to get good creamy bokeh? or do you need a wider lens to capture as much of the environment as possible. Many wedding photographers choose to rent their lenses when they are starting out to make sure they have the best variety and don't need the lens except for a couple days a month. Renting a backup body is also a good option to make sure that if your first camera body fails, you can still get the images that your wedding clients need (there are no do-overs like in portrait work!). 

Lighting is something else you need to consider. Do you know how to use flash? If the event is to take place outside, you might not need any flash at all. But weather is unpredictable and you may be forced to shoot indoors. You'll need at least basic off camera lighting equipment in case the location isn't well lit or not lit as you'd hope. Some cameras also perform better in low light than others, so you'll need to take this into consideration when you are choosing a body to use. 

It also sounds like you do not  have experience editing raw? That in and of itself is a skill that takes some time to learn. You may be better outsourcing your editing to someone who specializes in weddings if your skills aren't where they need to be.

In general, I would not recommend "get all this free stuff" bundles from Ebay or other places. They usually include cheap, poorly made, low quality items that you'd never consider buying on your own to add to the "value added" appearance. Whichever camera you decide to go with, I'd buy the body and the glass separately, unless you just so happen to come across a bundle that includes the things you were looking for (unlikely lol).  

• Like 1

Most of those "Free Stuff" items in eBay are Gray Market items. Meaning NIKON WILL NOT TOUCH THEM IF SENT IN FOR REPAIR. Basically, those items become paperweights if they break. 

I'm very concerned for this Wedding you are about to shoot. I would NEVER shoot one with a 18-55 kit lens. If I were a guest and these photos were just keepsakes, fine. As the main photographer providing the official photos? Forget it. 

$800 is a tight budget. It's not going to get you much. Chances are at that price point, you will be renting gear. 

You could get a used D7100 and rent a Nikon 17-55 f/2.8G DX lens. Add a SB-910 flash and you could do a whole wedding with that combo. You could also rent a Nikon 24-120 f/4 VR lens. That would also work. 

My 1st Digital Wedding that I did, I had the body but ended up renting lenses. After my costs, I made $50 that day. But you know what? I needed the photos. Those photos allowed me to book another wedding, in which I was able to purchase new gear. 

A 50 1.8 is used by crop cameras for portraits due to the Angle of View change. If you were shooting on a full frame body, you would need a 85 1.8 to produce similar results. 

If you had to, you could use a D7100 and a 35mm f/1.8G DX, that is equivalent to a film SLR with a 50 1.8. Then I would add a 85 1.8 for a little more reach. Something "normal" and something "long." The 35mm runs about $197 new. The 85 is $497 new. That's $700 in lenses rounded up and is the bare minimum...there goes your budget. 

If you must shoot this wedding, you will need to add to the budget. The $800 should cover lenses and some SD cards, but you will have to finance the body yourself. 

The wedding is for a photog  friend I went to school with. He knows I've never touched one or edited RAW.  He's being very supportive in the fact that he really likes my work and is intrigued at what I can do with something better. He also knows I haven't shot that many weddings. So it's a great experience for me to learn, upgrade, and get experience. He uses Nikon as well and has actually offered to let me borrow any of his lenses to learn/use if need be.

I found some great comparison sites for the D5500 and D7100. I'm really starting to lean more towards the D5500 because of its flip screen. Doing newborns I run back and forth SO much squatting, crawling, moving hands...its almost exhausting. It would be a huge plus for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D5500-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55-70-300-16GB-Bundle-FREE-Holiday-Bonus-/221955525048?hash=item33ad9489b8:g:qa4AAOSwnipWXHnD

Just so you know, that 70-300 lens in that eBay kit is the Non-VR 70-300 lens, and is regarded as one of Nikon's WORST lenses. They can't give them away. 

I SERIOUSLY WOULDN'T BUY THOSE ALL-IN-ONE KITS FROM EBAY!  

I know your budget is tight, but you are throwing money away. If you do purchase the eBay stuff, I wish you well. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Brian said:

I know your budget is tight, but you are throwing money away. 

My biggest regret when I started was not buying better glass. So much money wasted that I could have saved and put towards something nicer! Only one of the lenses I started with have I kept, and use on a regular basis.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your advice. I did find a different bundle with more basic things that I would need vs. extras ..and decided to go with the D5500 which included the 18-55mm and a 15-200mm.

Keep in mind, both of those lenses are variable aperture lenses. As you zoom out, the lens automatically stops down to f/5.6. The only time you will get it's wide aperture is when you are at 18mm or 55mm. You still might need to invest in a prime or a flash for tricky lighting situations.

• Like 1