Learn to Shoot in Manual - what's it all about?

Hi everyone!  Thanks for checking out my course.  There is more information on my website: https://www.kimhowellsphotography.co.nz

Why "Learn to Shoot in Manual" and not just "Learn Photography"?

If you are here, you probably know the answer.  Photography isn't "just" about how to use your camera.  It's about understanding light, it's about working with customers (or people/landscapes/animals etc if you don't have customers), it's about editing, and so much more.  My Learn to Shoot in Manual course will teach you how to gain control over your images in-camera, as well as teaching you some basics about composition.

Is the course right for me?

Learning to shoot in manual gives you the control to turn what you see into the images you want.  Do you want to:

• take better photos?
  • get sharp images every time?
  • capture the beauty you see every day?
  • blur the background behind your subject?
  • expose your subject well, even if the light is challenging?
  • photograph moving objects without (or with!) motion blur?
  • be creative with night photography?
  • photograph nature, water and landscapes?
  • learn about composition?
  • know what those buttons on your camera do?
  • photograph for fun, or for a future career?

What will I learn?

You will learn to become a better photographer, whether that be as an amateur, taking better photos of your family, landscapes, projects, or the start of the journey to become a professional photographer.

• Tools and terminology - the functions of your camera and lens(es).
  • Camera handling and care.
  • What the light meter is and how to use it, metering modes.
  • How to get sharp focus, focusing modes.
  • How to expose using the triangle of exposure (ISO, aperture and shutter speed).
  • Control depth of field (how much of your image is in focus), by learning the factors which affect it.
  • Motion/movement effects, such as how to freeze or show movement.
  • How to read and use a histogram.
  • White balance (colour).
  • Composition techniques.
  • Challenges - to help you practice, learn, and extend your knowledge (with feedback).

Why this course? There are free resources on the web.

Photography is both a science and an art.  It can be confusing, and while there are plenty of resources you can search and read yourself, they often don't have a systematic approach to learning, and they aren't interactive where you can ask questions and get feedback as often as you like.  You also "don't know what you don't know" - in searching for how to do things, you can only search for things you know exist!  I am to cover all of those things that are important to start taking quality photos, and getting the results you want rather than hoping one will eventually be what you want if you keep trying.

The course is:

• Online at your own pace.
  • Developed for busy people, so it's easy to learn if you have kids, full time work, etc.
  • Interactive with support - ask questions and post images for feedback.
  • Simple explanations of technical concepts. Step-by-step with examples, exercises and help on hand.
  • Refer back to the material and ask for help at any time over the 12 months.  It's plenty of time to complete the course, and practice what you have learned.
  • Renewable after 12 months for half price, so you can continue getting feedback and referencing the course material.
  • Photo challenges target specific areas of learning while letting you be creative and have fun.
  • Avoid confusion and wasted time spent sifting through information, without knowing what you really need to learn or what is correct.
  • Learn from an experienced, multi award-winning professional master photographer.

Sill not sure?  I am happy to answer any questions you have, and to help you see if this is the right place for you to start.

When I met Kim I was already selling my landscape photos at markets, however always felt whilst I had the 'eye' to take a good photo I didn't have the knowledge on how to get the best out of my camera, and why some photos didn't turn out great or were blurry etc.  I was reluctant to sign up at first as I have a brain injury and struggle with reading and comprehending,  some days are great others are a real struggle, so didn't want to feel under pressure to get through classes and assignments etc.  So after a few chats online with Kim I took the plunge.  WELL best thing I ever did.  The course was easy to follow and I could do it at my own pace.  I loved that we were able to interact direct with Kim and get answers to questions.  I had NO intention on doing family photo's but as my confidence grew so did my ability to grow my business.  I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this class,  it's at a very reasonable price, easy to follow, no pressure and so much info.   

• Like 1

Thank you Helen!  I have loved seeing you go from strength to strength, from selling beautiful landscapes, to running your own studio, portrait photography, and commercial photography.  It was with great pleasure and pride that I passed on some commercial work to you, and it makes me so happy to see your success. 

• Like 1

I did Kim's course when i was first starting out mastering my camera - i knew it could do more than auto, but i was at a loss as to how... being online it was more practical for me with 2 very small girls, and I could do it at my own pace, with Kim being supportive from behind the screen with answering questions, providing feedback on images and being an all round nice person.  from her course, i have gone from strength to strength and have a successful photography business, mainly doing weddings and families.  I've even won NZIPP awards for my wedding images. 

• Like 1

My goodness, I cant believe how awesome Kim is at explaining.  I feel so stupid asking questions usually, but Kim puts it so easily that she goes step by step, not like others that tell you how to do something, but skip the steps!  Fantastic and easy, such a MASSIVE help and I cant thank her enough for the help she has given me.  100% ?

• Like 2