Apple Desktop

danam

I don’t want to clutter your question board up with the same questions you always get, so I wanted to add that I have read through some feedback on here that you want to stick with an icore i7 and at least 16GB for photo editing. With that being said, my computer broke this year and I have not been able to afford to get another, but I noticed this desktop for sale on the marketplace and I wanted to be sure that this seems to be a good computer to purchase for editing. It says mid 2011 though so I’m not sure. Help! Thank you 

28B20391-8A40-41FF-A678-278B1A363452.png

18ADE34C-A251-418B-BEFD-E719536DF196.png

"Eh..."

2011 is really old, at least by today's tech standards. High Sierra is also getting a bit long in the tooth as well and the current Operating Systems are not compatible; there is no upgrade path for you and that means if things get buggy and stop working, you are kinda SOL. Current versions of PS CC also might have an issue.

That said, $750 is still $750, and I get it. You just need to have realistic expectations going into it. Are you comfortable throwing away $750? What I mean is, if you get a year or so out of this system, would you be OK with spending $750? Keep in mind, today's cameras, even the low-end consumer models start around 24MP. A 2011 iMac is fine for a 12-16MP Camera, otherwise it's gonna complain, even though it has 32GB of RAM. That 512GB HD doesn't make me happy either, but it's at least a 512GB SSD and that's not as bad as a 250GB or less HD, whatever type.

Here is my advice: If you make money with your camera to put food on the table or a roof over your head and you need a computer to deliver stuff to clients, then yeah, this is a stop-gap computer. If you are doing this as a hobby, keep saving. With COVID-19 all around, most people aren't taking photos or traveling much, so I'd hold off until you get enough to buy a new iMac.

• Like 1