Connecting 2 monitors (new computer) - no sound

Hi Brian,

I ordered a new Dell computer with 2 monitors that are supposed to have sound capabilities. Unfortunately, I can't get the sound to work. I must have cables connected incorrectly or something. Please help.

Thanks,

Tracey

Dell U2421E (NVIDIA High Definition Audio).

Windows 10

Device name    DESKTOP-F9K14SV
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900 CPU @ 2.80GHz   2.81 GHz
Installed RAM    64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable)
Device ID    C22148DF-F64B-4DDC-8B57-B67181D229FC
Product ID    00330-53467-89080-AAOEM
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display

It's not going to work the way you were thinking.

That's because it doesn't have built-in speakers. From what I can tell by reading the manual, all that monitor does is take the audio from the DisplayPort or HDMI and forwards it to a set of external speakers of some kind. Here is the page that I'm referring to:

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 4.37.55 PM.png

"Port 8" is a 3.5mm jack, but you need physical speakers with their own power source, headphones will not work in this port. Only 2-Channel Audio is the audio that comes out of that display.

My advice? Skip using this display for audio and get yourself a decent set of speakers and hook it up to the computer's audio ports. If you must use the monitor's pass-through ports, these Bose Speakers should work. I bought my wife a set of these for Christmas a few years ago and she likes them. They should work with either your display or computer. If you want something more, like a 2.1 system, I highly recommend getting a set of Klipsch THX 2.1 Speakers. This is what I have on my desk and they are on sale!! Normal price is $140 and they are going for $89.99...which is $10 less than the Bose Set.