Working off External Hard Drives

Hi Brian! I am working through Damien's Bridge class and trying to overhaul my workflow. I was attempting to implement Damien's recommendation of NOT working off an External Hard Drive (as I currently do) and asked a question regarding saving images to my desktop and was referred to this thread by Damien: 

https://ask.damiensymonds.net/topic/33422-ive-been-saving-on-my-desktop/ 

After reading (and comprehending that it is a terrible idea to save things to your Mac desktop) I noticed at the end your recommendation that if your internal Hard Drive is tiny you ~can~ work off an external which I think is my best option. I am currently saving for a computer upgrade so I am looking for help with a Band Aid for my ancient 2014 MacBook Air. 

After reading this thread: 

I am trying to compare: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ND4DV9M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 and it's counterpart that appears to be more portable: https://www.amazon.com/G-Technology-G-Drive-Portable-External-0G10348/dp/B07G4DWPCP/ref=sr_1_4?crid=NQ0Y98YWZGKO&dchild=1&keywords=g-technology+4tb+g-drive+with+thunderbolt&qid=1624424637&s=electronics&sprefix=G-Technology+4TB+G-DRIVE+thunder%2Celectronics%2C174&sr=1-4  

Is there any reason I can't go with the more portable option? As long as I am okay with it sucking my battery since it doesn't have its own external power source?

Additionally-  I am looking for your advice on if you think I will be okay working off of a USB 3.0? Or do I need really need make the leap to a Thunderbolt? 

Thank you so much in advance for your help! 

Emma 

Yes, the more crap you have on the Mac Desktop, the slower it runs. As I've written in my article, the MacOS treats each and every file/folder as an open Window, for lack of a better term. Got 1000 photos of the Smith-Jones Wedding? That's 1000 "Opened Windows," plus a few more for each of the folders!! If anything were to get corrupted, the Desktop...whether it's a Mac Desktop or Windows Desktop, that's where it will happen. Believe me, I've seen what happens with corrupted profiles and Desktops. When things go wrong, you lose stuff.

Personally, I work of an External Drive, with one caveat! My EHD is a fancy Thunderbolt 3 12TB G-Drive. That EHD  is very fast. It's like working off an internal drive.

I would not be working off the EHD if it was a USB drive, 2.0 or 3.0 if I had a choice.

Of course, if you have a Laptop that only has a 128 or 250GB drive, it may not be physically possible to edit a whole session off of the internal drive!

So now you choices, personally, I would get the one that isn't as portable if you are looking to edit off of them. Why? Traditional Spinning HDs come in two flavors, a 5400RPM version and a 7200RPM version. What's the difference? SPEED. You can work off a 7200RPM drive, even if it is "USB 3.0." Is it ideal? No. However, I wouldn't bother with a 5400RPM model. How can you tell? 7200RPM drives suck up more power and need a external power supply; that's the dead give-away. You need to be really picky in your situation on what you purchase.

Honestly? If you are looking for portability and speed, I'd skip a classic EHD altogether, and go for a Sandisk 2TB SSD Drive. (The new generation / latest model, it has a faster through-put.) The 4TB model is a bit pricey, at $900. Give it time, prices will come down eventually in a few years.

21 hours ago, Emma Vincent said:

Or do I need really need make the leap to a Thunderbolt? 

Should you make the leap to Thunderbolt? Yes, if your Mac Laptop has Thunderbolt 3 port, by all means TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!!!

My fancy G-Drive has Thunderbolt 3 Ports AND a USB 3.0 port. Of course I only use the TB3 port with that drive. One other thing is the G-Drives come Mac Formatted, but if you do get the Sandisk, please drop me a note first, we will need to properly setup that drive for use with the Mac. It takes about 5 minutes, but it needs to be done before you store anything on that drive.