Is El Capitan still a problem for Photoshop and Lightroom or is it safe to upgrade to El Capitan now?

Veronika

I am running into some issues with Finder on my MacBook Pro and was advised by a Tech Support guy over the phone to upgrade to the latest OS version. I am still working on Mavericks. I am a little hesitant to go that route as I have heard a plenty of complaints from Photoshop and Lightroom users on the problems they ran after switching to El Capitan. Were the issues resolved and is it safe now to upgrade? Thank you.

Yep. As far as I can tell, there are still problems, I just think people have just given up on finding a solution. 

There is a new OS on the horizon coming out this fall. Soon El Capitan will be replaced and a new file system will be introduced. Guess what program won't be compatible with the new FIle-System? CS6. 

So my advice is this, back up your Mac and upgrade to El Capitan while you still can. I feel that the next OS will be even more of a hassle than El Capitan. :/

Shoot. I am using CS6 and not CC. What the f-in f? [sorry for my profanity - I am very frustrated with the Apple at the moment and their not so good anymore service] Thank you for the response though!

I backed up my computer on the external hard drive via Time Machine. Brian, would you recommend doing anything else in terms of backing up? Also, would you be able to list briefly what kind of hassles I can expect after upgrading to El Capitan? 

Also, is anywhere on here who didn't have any issues??

I feel your frustration. I'm probably going to upgrade to El Capitan (still on the fence) shortly, just so I don't have to deal with Apple's newest OS that is due out this fall.

As far as backing up, Time Machine is a good start. I'm a bit more ruthless when I upgrade, I will backup things like PS Actions and Brushes, make note of all the License codes and backup important e-mails, etc. Basically, I don't trust anything when it comes to backups. I backup everything manually, after Time Machine. Of course, I also format my HD and install the OS clean, this way I can start from a error-free clean slate. But that's me. It's really overkill for the majority and something that an advanced user would do.

For hassle, I might move or create a thread in the Land of Misfits, so that others can chime in. The dreaded Black Boxes and grain I think are present in PS and here is some info about it: http://www.damiensymonds.net/2015/09/black-boxes-and-other-weird-behaviour.html

If you are on CS6, time is of the essence. Adobe has stopped support for CS6 and really-really-REALLY wants you to upgrade to PS CC. When Apple releases the new filesystem, programs like CS6 flat out will not work with it. Now, I'm not sure if the new filesystem is going to happen right away, but I can say with confidence that new Macs in 2017 will have it installed by default. Maybe even sooner if there aren't any bugs / issues with it.