iMac 27 or new iMac 24 m1

I’ve read your threads about buying Mac and the expense in 2021. Curious about your thoughts on the new m1 or older IMac 27.  Hypothetically if money were no object, what’s the best way to go? I only use for photo editing in bridge and photoshop,  Shoot raw with Z6ii. Looking for speed power and longevity. I’ve been lucky with my 2015 MacBook Pro. Still runs well but wanting a desktop. 

Apple is now releasing the M2 chip. Honestly? I'd hold off right now with the M1 or M2 Mac Chips. While interesting, we have enough issues with Photoshop as it is, and now you want to throw in new Architecture into the mix? If I had to buy a iMac right now, I'd start with the $2399 iMac and go configure things. Click on the "Quick and Dirty" configurations link in the above comment. Pay attention to this:

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 10.17.31 PM.png

If it was me, and my money, I'd stick with the Intel-based iMac in 2021/2022. If you configure the 27" iMac to my recommendations, it should last you about 7-8 years. You are just editing photos and playing with Photoshop. I'd recommend waiting until the Next computer, not this computer...the one AFTER this one to be the M-Whatever Macs. I'm sure they will be up to the M7 or M8 by that point.

Also, with the M-whatever Macs, you need to purchase all of the expensive (and over-priced) items at the time of purchase. Everything is built onto the single chip, no upgrading ANYTHING after the fact.

Regardless if it's a Mini or not. A M1 or M2 chip is still a M1 or M2.

It's your money, if you have your heart set on the 24" M1 or whatever, so be it. Personally I wouldn't buy one right now. Again, if you do...MAX OUT THAT SUCKER.

I personally would purchase a tricked out 27" Intel-based iMac if I had the money (and need) to buy a new Mac right now.

In a few years, probably sometime in 2025 or so...my tune will probably change. Software will support the new chip better and there is less chance with incompatibility issues. I don't like being an early adopter, even though it is temping. Things are starting to get a little better, I just saw that Parallels now supports the M1 chip and is Windows 11 compatible, though I'm sure there are still bugs to work out.

For me, it's just not worth the hassle with being the one with the brand-new hardware. Let others be the Guinea Pigs. Photoshop CC 2021 still has weird quirks and isn't 100% stable. We still get posts from members who are having weird issues; then they load up an older version of Photoshop and things work just fine.