2013 iMac - Upgrade or Stay Put

IPP

Hi Brian, I'm currently working on a 2013 27-inch iMac and have't updated the system in a long time. I'm ready to upgrade and deciding between wiping the system and starting from scratch on my current computer or using an LG gaming monitor I have and getting a Mac Mini. I'll be running Bridge, Photoshop, Exposure. Thank you!  

10 hours ago, IPP said:

LG gaming monitor I have and getting a Mac Mini

Don't.

If you are editing photos that is. The current Mac Minis only look good on Apple Displays, and there aren't any affordable Apple Displays on the market currently. Unless you want to spend around $6000 for just the display. No, I'm not kidding. The current Mac Minis need 4K Displays, but things like graphics might be ok, but stuff like Text won't be as clear and nowhere near what you are used to seeing.

Mac Minis sound great...you have a display and peripherals, heck...you can get a new Mac for less money!! Whoo-Hoo!!! Except that expectations and reality are two different things. if you still are determined on buying a new Mac Mini, especially one of the new M1 models, make sure you upgrade EVERYTHING AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE. The CPU, RAM and HD are all built in on one chip, so it's a new type of architecture than whats been around practically forever. Lord help you if you have any type of data crash; so factor in a monthly fee for a iCloud account.

Macs are different from Windows, formatting the HD doesn't make them "faster" like their Windows Counterparts. Of course having a clean iMac will make it actmore efficient, but you'd be better served by maxing out the RAM to 32GB (if you haven't already) than you would by formatting it. Oh, not having 1000+ files and folders on a Mac Desktop will also make them run faster. So you might want to do some housekeeping in the short term.

What would I do? Start saving for a new 27" iMac. I'd still get the Intel version in 2021. What options would I choose for a "Computer that's good for photo-editing?" I'm so glad you asked!! :) 

Quick & Dirty iMac Configurations

Personally, I'd get the Photoshop & Light Video Configuration. This model / configuration has the best chance of lasting you 7-8 years or so. Which is the same time period of where your existing Mac is now. Funny how that works... ;) 

• Like 1