Tablets for editing

Lumarie

Hello Brian!!

I read the Buying a Computer in 2021 post - very interesting stuff, working in the supply chain world, I can tell you for a fact that, that is happening with everything! Freight charges and raw material prices are sky rocketing every month! Prices keep going higher and higher and its getting harder to find cost effective materials which then leads to FGs price increases too! 

So, my sister and I are starting on the photography world. We have been looking for editing equipment here and there and doing our research to see what is the best to get now within our budget (it is not 3K yet) as we are saving our money as we can. So we have been wondering, until we meet a reasonable budget, would a tablet be beneficial for newbies to start with? and If so, what would your recommendation be? I was trying to go through all the posting but it was taking me too long! Thank you for your help!! 

16 hours ago, Lumarie said:

would a tablet be beneficial for newbies to start with?

No. I wouldn't recommend going down that path.

You are going to have to save up money. Even if you used a current computer and got a copy of Photoshop Elements, even an older version, would be better than getting a Tablet to edit on.

Well, if all you want to do is take photos, slap a filter on them and load them to IG and the like...it doesn't matter what you use. Because you aren't "Editing;" not in the real sense, it's just minor adjustments that just scratch the surface of what people call "Editing." Plus, Photography calls many...but selects few. I'm almost certain you and your sister will soon have a Photography Business between the two of you. Trust me, the "Oh no!! We are just in it for a hobby!!" Uh-huh, it's inevitable. Both of you might as well start things with good habits and a solid foundation. ;) Photography has never been cheap, not since its creation in the middle 1800's. Trust me, I've spent LOTS-AND-LOTS of money on this shit over the years.

The other problem is, we now have Windows 11 that is on the horizon. Unless you want to buy a computer now, and then another one in 2025, you will need to invest in hardware that is going to last the next 7 years or so, and unfortunately with today's prices...that's around the $3000 mark. The real reason is the video / graphics card. Those suckers are going for $1500 all by themselves. Why is this important? Because as Adobe updates Photoshop, they are using the Graphics Card more and more for a performance boost. If your Graphics/Video Card doesn't have enough "horsepower," the latest versions of Photoshop slow to a crawl performance-wise. 

Give this article a read:

Buying a Computer in 2021

Scroll down to the section that starts with, "I need it to run my business..." That should get you a starting point. In fact, I just went to Dell's XPS Special Edition Website, picked the model in the right column and tweaked a few things. Prices have gone down slightly, which is good news. Here is a computer "That will last, and is good for Photo Editing."

1766110813_ScreenShot2021-09-02at9_03_42AM.thumb.png.b316169e3b9a793a343c997561d539a2.png

Now all we have to do is add a IPS Monitor, and I'd budget around $350 for that. Here is a Dell 27" Ultrasharp IPS 2021 Model that is "Good for Photo Editing." Sure, you can find cheaper monitors, and I would have at least $250-ish set aside for the display, for models that are a few years old, but still viable.

Now, don't forget about calibration!! You need a Calibrator, and I'd have $175 set for that.

So let's call it, $2650 for the Computer, $350 for the Monitor and $175 for the Calibrator. That's $3175 before taxes and shipping. Right around the $3000 mark. A few years ago, this same setup would be around $1800 or so. :(

Keep Saving.

Hello Brian! 

Thank you so much for all this information! We do want to do things right from the beginning. We are saving up to get the computer and monitors and then I want to take Damien's classes and we are also looking into Kim's classes! So we do need a good computer for the photoshop program! We will continue to save - we are about 60% there! More than half is better than nothing right! 

Really appreciate your time! 

Thank you! 

Buy it Right - Buy it Once.

I know, it's a lot of money. It just sucks to be in the market for a new computer right now. Plus with the whole Windows 11 thing...it's such a racket. It's a way to make money. In fact, just a few years ago, people were forced to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and before that it was XP. It never ends. That's why I have people spend a little bit more in the beginning, this way it lasts and they don't have to buy a new computer every 24-36 months.