Monitor with iMac

2 hours ago, Michelle Gifford said:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 mb

"Meh..."

That's not very powerful. Photoshop may not like it, especially the current versions of Photoshop CC. You see, Adobe's products, especially Photoshop, use the GPU and dedicated video memory as a performance boost. You probably are pushing things as it is, and now you want to drive another display.

If you do decide to go down this path, you will need a Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter, such as this one and a display such as a Dell P2219H 22" 16:9 Ultrathin Bezel IPS Monitor. I wouldn't bother trying to get a 24" and the resolution needs to stay at 1920x1080. Remember, as far as your computer is concerned, you are in the 2012-2013 era. No fancy 4K displays or even a 27" display is in your vocabulary.

That should work. Now I will warn you about having two monitors...

YOU WILL NEVER GET THEM 100% MATCHING, even if you calibrate both.

Of course, you will need to calibrate both. Chances are, you will edit on one display and have everything else on the other display. Just use the monitor that best matches your test prints to do your editing on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Michelle Gifford said:

Could that be upgraded in this computer or not worth it?

In 2021...yep. You need a new computer. Unfortunately, not only is it old, it's kinda under-powered as it is, even in 2012. The problem is, unless you are willing to spend $3200+ on a new iMac right now, getting a second display is way cheaper.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 1:58 PM, Brian said:

I wouldn't bother trying to get a 24" and the resolution needs to stay at 1920x1080. Remember, as far as your computer is concerned, you are in the 2012-2013 era. No fancy 4K displays or even a 27" display is in your vocabulary.

My husband wants to get me a monitor for Christmas. So a monitor with higher resolution than 1920 will not work with my older iMac?

On 10/22/2021 at 2:58 PM, Brian said:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 mb

Correct.

Because you have this, you are basically stuck with a 24" Display 1920 x 1080. Just make sure it's IPS based and has a HDMI port. Remember, technology-wise, it's 2012 for you. 4K was just beginning in that era. In reality, you need a new computer.