Failed update

Brian,

I keep getting these failed for when my computer is trying to update. i have tried a bunch of different things that i found on the web but still cant get this one to update correctly? 

do you have any suggestions? I am heading out on travel for a couple weeks but will be back. 

Nick

windows.JPG

On 10/19/2021 at 12:32 PM, Brian said:

Let's visit this when you come back. Drop me a note when you do. This problem does not have a single answer and might take a few attempts to push it along.

Brian,

back in town now. where should i try first?

Nick

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Well, let's start here first.

Details about your computer's health.

I have a PC desktop running Windows 10 and Photoshop 23.0. It is under 2 years old, and has 64GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 1.39TB free out of 1.81TB. The last time I shut down was earlier today. I have never run a cleanup program.

Computer was built march of 2020. thankfully just prior to all the prices sky rocketing. cleanup program, nothing yet.... 

Error Code 0xc1900101, according the Microsoft, usually means that there is a driver that isn't playing nice with Windows update. The 0xc1900223 error we aren't going to worry about, it just means Windows Update failed. (Duh!)

Who built this computer? Have you checked ALL of your installed devices to see if there are any updates? This not only includes driver updates, but BIOS updates as well. I can give you a couple of commands to try, but this sort of error does not have a single fix. Ultimately, you try a bunch of stuff and you are lucky to get things working again without any rhyme-or-reason. I hate when Windows doesn't update & fails, I usually spend a good 4-5 hours trying a bunch of stuff. 

Also, try running Windows Update again, but make sure you don't have any peripherals or external devices hooked up when you do. We just want the computer, keyboard, monitor and mouse.

You can try running the built-in Windows tool, Disk Cleanup to delete things. Simply Click on the Start Button and type "Disk Cleanup" but before you click on the program in the list, select "Run as Administrator." This is very important as the next step won't appear unless this cleanup program is run as an Administrator. Yes, even if you are logged in as an Admin, it still needs elevated privileges.

What I want you to click on is "Windows Update Cleanup" and make sure it's checked. Then check anything else you might want to delete. Sometimes Windows Updates get corrupted when they are downloaded and that can cause you grief. Doing this will clear out any downloaded update that is ready to be installed, and then I want you to try Windows Update again. Hopefully, your computer is hooked directly up via a hard-wired Ethernet cable and not connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi. Not only for speed, but sometimes poor Wi-Fi signals can trip you up.

5 hours ago, Brian said:

Who built this computer? Have you checked ALL of your installed devices to see if there are any updates? This not only includes driver updates, but BIOS updates as well. I can give you a couple of commands to try, but this sort of error does not have a single fix. Ultimately, you try a bunch of stuff and you are lucky to get things working again without any rhyme-or-reason. I hate when Windows doesn't update & fails, I usually spend a good 4-5 hours trying a bunch of stuff. 

My buddy and I build it. checked all the devices about 6 months ago prior to moving from Japan back to the states. going back through and checking any of the updates I may have again now. and i totally hear the 4-5 hours trying everything! do a few things restart and try some more. 

also this computer is hard wired to the house lan.