Red static on monitor

JuliaC

Hi Brian, 
My laptop (2016 MacBook Pro, running OS Monterey 12.0.1) started doing something weird last night. You know how in ACR the darkest parts of the image (where the detail is lost) will be marked in red? My monitor looks like that, but on every screen (not just in ACR/ photoshop). It seems to be mostly on the darkest edges (outlining browsers, framing the Br of the bridge logo, etc.). I tried restarting and the issue persists. I've attached a couple of screenshots to illustrate. Is this something you've come across before?

Thank you!!

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 5.25.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 5.24.36 PM.png

Yep, screenshots won't help. Cell Phone photo in this case would be better, but I understand what is happening. I've seen people complain about this before and there is two possibilities that come to mind:

1. Video Cable between the Motherboard & Display has become weak.
  2. More than likely, there is a problem with the Chips on the Motherboard which relate to Video have bad solder joints.

Basically, it's a known hardware issue with MacBooks and it's not a Software / Calibration issue. I'd recommend to send it to Louis' Repair Shop, they do component level swap-out / repair:

Rossmann Repair Group - NYC

Thank you! Is this something any (or most) computer repair shop can tackle? I'm in Canada and can't be without my laptop for as long as it would take to send it to the states and back. 

4 hours ago, JuliaC said:

Is this something any (or most) computer repair shop can tackle?

Most?

Nope. You have two choices, IMHO:

1. Send it to Apple for Repair / Take it to a Genius Bar in a Apple Store.
  2. Or, contact Louis Rossmann's Team in NYC. They specialize in Apple laptops.

Rossman Repair Group - NYC - Macbook Repair

Seriously, Louis' team will go into component level swap out, rather than replacing the whole motherboard. Apple is going to charge you at least $1000, if not more.

Why do I keep recommending Louis? Because he is good at what he does AND Apple doesn't sell parts to 3rd Party Repair shops. You'd have to find a Authorized Apple Repair Center, and they are like Unicorns these days; which are even more rare than Apple Stores. Good luck finding one. Louis salvages parts and chips off of other boards, which saves everyone money.