Saving to desktop

Windows treats the files the same?

No.

Is it risky?

Absolutely!!

The Windows Desktop, is assigned to your profile. If anything were to corrupt your Windows Profile, which is the username you log-in as, the files on your Desktop could be lost or get corrupted. It's not a good idea to store things on your Windows Desktop permanently; sure, the occasional file that's to be uploaded is fine. It's just not a good idea to store your files on the Desktop.

I know it's probably something you have always done. I know it's convenient, but the truth is, it's better to have folders contained within your HD and create shortcuts to be placed on your Windows Desktop.

Still want to save on your Desktop? That's your choice. Basically if you can live without the files stored on your Windows Desktop forever if something bad were to happen, then go ahead. If it's something important, like the Smith-Jones Wedding...I'd say you shouldn't have them on your Desktop. 

Ah. How much RAM does it have and how many Chrome Browser Tabs does she have open? My wife likes to have 50+ and hates rebooting as well. The more browser tabs she has open, the more resources are required (especially RAM) and the slower it runs. 

Check to see if there are any Windows Updates pending and how full is the HD? 

I have found that if lots of Windows Updates are pending, that will slow things down. Full HDs aren’t good by any means, but if she only has 8GB of RAM, the Windows Swap File (pagefile.sys) starts to be utilized more. 

Of course, there sometimes is a Driver Update from the manufacturer that could help if available. 

I wish there was one fix for the dreaded “Too Slow” problem. It could be one thing or usually a lot of little things. I always start with the basics. Oh, try logging into it with a new profile and see if things speed up. Sometimes screwed up Windows Profiles will cause things to come to a crawl. 

But they're ALL critical!!

1918338252_ScreenShot2021-11-15at10_05_45PM.thumb.png.f89a88b2111b5f8eec1aa9ad4946eec7.png

I had to upgrade my Wife's computer to 16GB, just for the browser tabs. Looking back, I should have bumped her up to 32GB instead. Chrome is terrible when it comes to managing memory. Each browser tab is like having a separate browser open at the same time, very much like the situation with the Mac Desktop and storing files, which results in performance issues.

• Haha 1