Repair or upgrade?

Cindy Galvin

I currently have a canon 400D. The pop up flash is sticking and I have to manually open it and I am getting dead pixels on long exposure shots. Should I try to repair the camera or upgrade to maybe a 6D?  I got a new lens for Christmas so was looking at just a new camera body. 

Help please. 

What is your current lens lineup? The problem with upgrading from a crop to full frame sensor, is that the majority of crop users have crop only lenses.

With Canon, only "EF" are recommended to be used with full frame bodies. If you have any "EF-S" lenses, they are designed to be used with Canon Crop Bodies ONLY

This is why we need to know what your lens lineup looks like, because if you don't have full frame lenses lined up, the average cost to upgrade to full frame is around $4000 - $4500. Give or take. 

I have a 75-300mm lens, EF-S 18-55, these two came with the camera,  50mm and a Tamron 16-300mm.  I'm a bit concerned with the 6D not having a flash. What would be the next best one to go with. Looking at spending about $1800 max

7 hours ago, Cindy Galvin said:

I have a 75-300mm lens, EF-S 18-55, these two came with the camera,  50mm and a Tamron 16-300mm.  I'm a bit concerned with the 6D not having a flash. What would be the next best one to go with. Looking at spending about $1800 max

Cindy, the ONLY lenses you own that will work on a full frame body are the 50mm and the 75-300, and assuming your 50 is the cheap 1.8, neither of these are lenses I'd want to put on a full frame sensor.  That sensor will show every single flaw in your glass, and your lenses are, I'm afraid, pretty crappy. 

Glass first, body second.  You will get a MUCH higher bump in image quality if you invest in high quality lenses first.  Think a fixed-aperture zoom, or a set of good primes.  Heck, even a $100 Yongnuo flash you can put on your camera hotshoe (so you're not venturing into OCF yet, but can at least change the direction of your light) will make a GIGANTIC difference in your low light photography!

1 hour ago, Christina Keddie said:

Glass first, body second.  You will get a MUCH higher bump in image quality if you invest in high quality lenses first. 

I usually agree, but since her current camera is in need of repair it also becomes a question of if it's worth repairing the sensor on the older camera. Is the repair more costly than the camera is worth? It might be best to get a quote first to see just how expensive fixing the sensor. 

3 minutes ago, Samantha LaRue said:

I usually agree, but since her current camera is in need of repair it also becomes a question of if it's worth repairing the sensor on the older camera. Is the repair more costly than the camera is worth? It might be best to get a quote first to see just how expensive fixing the sensor. 

Hah, sorry, I missed the dead pixels bit.  I saw the complaint about the popup flash and was like, girl, stop using the popup flash.  :)

I still stand by what I said about Cindy's lenses, though.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about the pop-up flash that much. Yes, they are  convenient, but generally don't produce quality light. In most cases, they are frowned upon. A Canon 430 EX II is way better than a pop-up. You could also go the cheap route, as Christina suggested, with what I call the "Kung-Pow!!" Flashes. 

Now for the camera body. A 6D is on sale now at $1399. You could get a Canon 24-105 f/4L for $999 to replace your 18-55. Or go for broke and get a 24-70 f/2.8 L Version II for $1799. Wow, that price has dropped. It used to be $2400. Oh, don't EVER buy the version one of the Canon 24-70 lens. Way too many problems with it. Anyway...

If you are a prime shooter, you could use the EF 50 1.8 and pickup a Canon 100mm f/2.0 lens (Not the Macro Lens, the Portrait Lens) for $499. This way you would have something with a little more reach and has a wide Aperture. Why not the Canon 85 1.8? Because of the stupid Chromatic Aberration. The 100 f/2.0 is MUCH better in this dept.

Right now you need more than just a camera body if you were to go full frame. You need better glass. Period.

I wouldn't even bother going to full frame at the moment unless your budget is seriously going to increase.  I would get a 24-105 f/4L, a 70-200 f/4L IS to replace your 18-55 & 75-300. The f/4 lenses are cheaper than their f/2.8 counterparts. Both those lenses combined will run you $2148. Now add the $1399 6D and we are at $3547. See how I say the average cost is $4000? If we added a 430 EX III Flash, we are close to that number. 

So what body? How about a 7D Mark II? It's a body that's more robust than what you have, and you could use all your current lenses.

i wouldn't bother repairing a 400D.  

• Like 1

If she got the 100mm and the 6d, it would be within her budget for the time being, wouldn't it? 

I personally use the 6d and the 100mm (macro lens, so a little more expensive than the one Brian recommend), and this is my go to lens for outdoor portraits. It's a great combination!

And the yongnuo flashes that Christina recommended are a great addition to any camera bag when you are learning light. 

@Cindy Galvin, what do you shoot primarily? Portraits? Nature? Family?

It boils down to shooting style. If her 50 1.8 lives on her camera, then she could make the 100mm f/2.0 work. If she is used to zooming in and out, then the 24-105 f/4 L is in her future at the very least. 

7 hours ago, Cindy Galvin said:

Thank you all for your info. It's a lot to take in!!!

i do already have a yongnuo speed lite YN460-II! 

I will look into the 7d 

i am just a happy snapper who likes to photograph my grandchildren, landscapes. 

You do not need to blow $3000+ then. Look at the Canon 7D Mark II. It will be a big step up from your 400D and the is the affordable option in your case (vs. going full frame.)

• Like 1