iMac RAM upgrade

Shiralee

Hi Brian,

I have a late 2015 iMac and want to buy bigger RAM for it. currently it has 2 x 4gb RAM and 2 x 8gb  RAM all are Apple brand. I read your post about what RAM you suggest and just want to make sure your suggested RAM will be good for my machine. 
other specs of my machine are 560gb free space on 1TB hard drive, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB graphics, 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processor, iMac Retina 27” late 2015. OS is Catalina 10.15.7. I only run photoshop 2019 as I’ve read a lot of people have had dramas with the newer versions and don’t want to upgrade just yet but will once I have (if I can that is) upgrade the RAM

any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙂

• Like 1

You are really going to like this!

All you need to do is remove the two existing 4GB Sticks and install these two stick in their place:

Crucial 16GB Kit for Late 2015 27" iMac  - $96!! (Talk about cheap AND it's in stock. Buy It-Buy It-Buy It!!!!)

According to Apple, the Maximum amount of RAM is 32GB for that machine. I have heard rumors you can push it to 64GB, but at your own risk. (I can't guarantee stability, but it should work.)

Installing the RAM is pretty straightforward. Several YouTube Videos out there demonstrating the process. You can totally do this, takes about 10 Min start-to-finish. All I recommend doing is touching something metallic before handling the RAM. Computer components do not like being zapped by static discharge.

Just give that video I linked to a watch and you will see how easy it is to upgrade the RAM.