Computer system revamp

Jody A

Hi Brian!

This is a multi part question.   I have a 27" IMac currently with 16 ram but only 256 hard drive ( received some no so great advice when purchasing).   I was told apple can upgrade hard drive space if I send it in.  Any advice on that?

Also, looking to pruchase a laptop.  Sugesstions on weather to stay Mac or go to something else.   I just want to do it right this time!!  

Thank you so so much!  

1 minute ago, Jody A said:

I was told apple can upgrade hard drive space if I send it in.  Any advice on that?

Yes. Send it in.

There are a couple of reasons:

1. Prices are insanely high right now due to the chip shortage, so any extra life you can get out of your computer is worth it. 
  2. You can not upgrade the HD yourself. RAM? Yes. That's easy to do and takes about 5-10 min. Hard Drive? Nope. You have to tear the whole damn iMac apart, starting with removing the screen then working your way down. It is VERY easy to do something stupid, like rip a cable off the board causing permanent damage if you aren't careful. Even I don't go inside my iMac.

I'd get at least a 1TB SSD Drive, but since you are taking the time to upgrade it, might as well go ahead and get a 2TB SSD Drive, if you can afford it.

5 minutes ago, Jody A said:

Suggestions on weather to stay Mac or go to something else.

People have a stupid love-affair when it comes to laptops. If you stayed Mac for the convenience, you are forking out A LOT of cash to get a "Mac Laptop that's good for photo editing..." Like $4200+ cash. If  you went with a Windows Laptop, you will have to convert your files over to the Windows Format. When people go back-and-forth between the two worlds, Windows OR MacOS, they usually get bit and data gets lost. In my humble opinion, pick an Eco-system, MAC OR WINDOWS and stick with it. 

The problem is the prices of today. With COVID-19 and the chip shortage, unless you are prepared to spend $3000-$4000, you aren't getting a laptop for photo-editing. Yep, you read that correctly, I'm talking about Windows Laptops at the $3000+ price-point. For the first time in history, there is no difference in cost between a Mac or a Windows Computer. Well, a few hundred, but at the $3000+ price-point, it's not that big of a deal.

Gone are the days of getting a computer for $999 that is going to be "Good Enough..." Prices are triple what they should be, maybe even more.

My advice? I'd upgrade your iMac's HD, and then increase the RAM to 32GB yourself.

What macOS are you running?

Thank you!  That was my plan and glad to hear that is an option!  I will get 2TB and upgrade the ram myself.  I am running High Sierra 10.13.6 still.  I am always terrified to update. 

I have noticed that computers are stupid expensive but unfortunately I have started traveling for work and have no choice.  I have budgeted $4k for a new one... ugh 

7 minutes ago, Jody A said:

I am running High Sierra 10.13.6 still.

You can still upgrade to Catalina, if you'd like. Do you know if you have any 32-bit Apps / Plug-ins? Well, things should be updated by now. High Sierra is getting a bit old at this point and if Apple can upgrade you to Catalina or Big Sur, now is the time to do it. I'd hold off on Monterey for now. Currently, I'm running the latest version of Catalina with Adobe PS CC.

I'm expecting prices to moderate a little by the end of 2022, maybe 2023. Unfortunately, there will be a new reality; while the prices won't be triple as they are currently, we aren't going back to the cheap prices pre-2019. So that "$999 Special" might be closer to $1799 or $1999 in the near future. Granted, that's an easier pill to swallow than $4000, but still. 😐

I am not sure on the Apps.  My PS has not been updated lately and I truly dont have much on this computer.    I will update to Catalina.  Thank you so much!!  Really putting my mind at ease with my plan to upgrade and purchase. 

Be forewarned, some older software / plug-ins might need to be upgraded if they are 32-Bit. Catalina killed all support for 32-bit software. It's 64-bit or bust! In addition, you will need to be running Adobe PS CC 2020 or 2021/2022 to work with Catalina. If you are still using CS6, PS flat-out WILL NOT WORK. Hell, I don't think it will install. Even though CS6 is 64-bit, the programing language that was used to create / compile the software is no longer supported in Catalina.

So if you upgrade, you are upgrading your Photoshop as well if you haven't already. So with all things considered, this is a good time for a Fresh OS, Fresh Photoshop, etc.

I do run CC on my adobe programs and just have not upgraded.   I just spoke with Apple, have an appointment for next week. I can upgrade to a 1 or 2tb HD but it will not be a SSD anymore, only a 512 gb in a SSD.   Thoughts?  

Also, I keep getting a notice that my application storage is full and asking me to force quit programs, I only have 2 open.  First time I am seeing this! 

On 12/21/2021 at 9:22 PM, Jody A said:

only a 512 gb in a SSD.  

They are Bullshitting you. Here are the choices on the Apple Website:

582645266_ScreenShot2021-12-23at9_14_25PM.thumb.png.9af069d154bac1c96db6e7047fae1cf8.png

You see the 8TB storage with the letters "SSD" after it? Don't tell me that a SSD larger than 512GB doesn't exist!! I have a damn 1TB in this iMac that I'm typing this sentence on as of right now. F'ing Apple Genius Bar. I know for a fact, they aren't Geniuses, in ANY sense of the word.

They probably don't have them in stock.

Honestly? With such a Bone-headed statement like that, I'd cancel the appointment, find a local repair place that does iMac work and see if they can upgrade your HD. Bonus Points: See if they will allow you to bring in a Samsung SSD Drive for them to install. Granted, they won't warranty it, but at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing you have a decent HD.

Thank you!!!  I asked why is was an option on the website and not for upgrade... they couldn't tell me and also the 512gb was close to $700.  Lame!  This was after 3 people including the 1-800 number told me upgrading it wasn't an option.  I had to push it to find someone who knew it was.  I have requests into multiple certified Apple Repair locations.    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  I seriously cannot stress how helpful you (and Damien) have been since I started my photography journey!   

Now putting in a 8TB in your old iMac is pushing it. But a 2TB? That was an upgrade option when you Mac was brand new. Thing with Apple is they like putting in minor stuff to make their hardware different. That's why you need the kit, we have to fool one of the proprietary sensors. Not a big deal, just something that we need to do.

Thank you again so much!  The RAM has been updated and I found a local place to upgrade the hard drive.     

My work is giving me a decent budget for a laptop as well.  Any suggestions on the new M1 MacBook Pros?   Below is what I have but open to suggestions.  

IMG_9912.jpg

My opinion on the M1 line is “Meh.” The main issue with the Liquid Retina Display is they can not be calibrated with the current and affordable tools/devices that are on the market. No SpyderX Elite or equivalent device, it’s not compatible with the current MacBook Pro Screens. Also, there is no upgrading  the fact as everything is built into one chip. With the M1, and soon to be released in the next few months…the M2 line, is you aren’t buying for today, but 4-8 years from now. Of course you may not have a problem forking out $3000-$4000 every 24-36 months for a laptop. I personally do. 

Yes, I don't want to be buying one every few months.  Do you have a laptop suggestion?  It will be mostly for website building on the road and general work.   Most of my editing will still be done at my desktop.  

Honestly? I hate laptops for photo-editing. :D I feel that Mac Laptops are way overpriced and it’s very tough to find a IPS based screen in a Windows laptop. In reality, you are looking at the gaming laptop selection. Not only for the RAM, CPU Speed and HD capacity, but you really need a separate and dedicated video GPU with its own video RAM to make today’s modern Photoshop run well. Check out the Windows Forum here, I have a few articles pinned at the top and have answered this same question so many times.