Problems running Bridge

Guest Lila I.

Guest Lila I.
Hi Brian. I used to use Bridge on a MacBook before Lightroom was invented and I loved it. I got an iMac years ago and it never ran Bridge smoothly, super slow, lots of crashing etc., but I never found out why. I became reliant on Lightroom and Photoshop since those ran fine. I would really love to go back to using Bridge now, but the issue is even worse. I read through posts and got the advice to clean up my desktop and made sure the hard drive isn’t more than 75% full (thank you!). I also ordered ram to increase from 8gb to 16gb (haven’t installed it yet). I was just on the phone with Adobe and the guy said my NVIDIA 2GB graphics card isn’t gonna cut it and that 4gb should be the minimum. Do you agree? I’m wondering if I need to return the ram I just bought and buy a new computer. My iMac is 7 years old. Thank you in advance!

2 hours ago, Lila I. said:

I got an iMac years ago and it never ran Bridge smoothly, super slow, lots of crashing etc., but I never found out why.

Here is your answer:

"NVIDIA 2GB graphics card..."

Today's Modern Photoshop CC relies on the Graphics Processor and Dedicated Video RAM as a performance boost. The guy from Adobe is right, 2GB isn't going to cut it. At all. How do you upgrade it? Buy a new iMac.

I also ordered ram to increase from 8gb to 16gb (haven’t installed it yet).

Hopefully, this is a 27" iMac. If it's a 21.5" Model, take it to a repair shop that specializes in Macs. Because when it comes to the 21.5" iMacs, there is no access panel to get to the RAM slots on the back side of the Motherboard. In fact, you have to take apart the entire 21.5" iMac and then remove the Motherboard.

4gb should be the minimum.

Actually, I recommend at least 8GB.

423812906_ScreenShot2022-01-13at7_39_18PM.thumb.png.403d22c72ebe475dded5e99ace1ccf1f.png

I’m wondering if I need to return the ram I just bought and buy a new computer. My iMac is 7 years old.

I'd return the RAM and buy a new 27" iMac. 7 Years is a good run. Also, you might have one of those Fusion HDs installed in your iMac, and they aren't known for their performance. 

In case you are wondering, start with the most expensive 27" iMac and upgrade a few things:

• Leave it at the Standard Glass
  • Upgrade the CPU to the i9 version
  • Leave it at 8GB (more on this later...)
  • Upgrade the Video to the middle one, Radeon Pro 5700 with 8GB of Video RAM.
  • Upgrade the internal HD to 1TB SSD Storage
  • I'd upgrade the Keyboard to the one that has the built in Numeric Keypad. It's totally worth the extra $30.

When finished, it should look like this:

1688683303_ScreenShot2022-01-13at7_42_11PM.thumb.png.b2286d36ed0b06effed499f7b6d0b382.png

The Cost should be $3229 before Shipping, Tax and AppleCare.

Price is US-Dollars.

The reason why we are leaving it at 8GB, is I don't want you to pay Apple's over-priced RAM. You will buy a Crucial 64GB kit to take your RAM from 8GB to 72GB for about $350-ish. You'd spend over $1000 for the same damn thing (the 64GB RAM option) AND have LESS RAM AT THE END. (72GB vs 64GB.) So why pay more and get less? :D

Oh, why start with the most expensive iMac? Because it will save you money. Let me explain...

Apple is and always been a "Go Big or Go Home" Company. You are penalized for spending less. If you chose a lower-priced iMac, you will end up paying MORE FOR THE UPGRADE OPTIONS. Apple will charge you $100 more for the same damn HD upgrade if you went with a lower-priced iMac. So when it's all-said-and-done, you only save about $100 with going with a lower-end / wallet-friendly iMac. It's not worth it. At over the $2000-$3000 price-point, a $100 is nothing. I'd rather have you get the best hardware options so that your next iMac lasts 7-8 years. Otherwise you will be in the Market sooner rather than later. When I configure my Macs, I have a 7-8 year lifespan in mind

Which leads me back to my advice above: It's time for a new iMac. I know, it sucks having to fork out the money. It's just not worth it. You might get another 6-12 months of usage after increasing the RAM, but honestly...it's time. 

Guest Lila I.

Hi Brian. This is especially bad because I also need a new laptop and DSLR haha. AND I heard everything is more expensive since covid. In any case, I appreciate your time so very much. I'm sure you have saved me a lot of time and stress. Thank you sincerely. 

Fortunately, Apple's prices haven't changed that much. They are just offering less with their default configurations. (Just like everything else...like you "almost" get a Gallon of Ice Cream these days, or two packs-less in a box of ______, etc.)

Yes, COVID-19 and all the BS that is happening is driving up prices. It's insane. A Windows Computer that's "Good for Photo Editing..." costs you just as much as a fancy iMac! I've never seen it this bad, it's just the worse time to be in the Market for a new computer. Also, when it comes to Macs, it's always better to order it on their website and have it shipped to a Apple Store if you have one nearby. Not only does it give you free shipping, you won't have a $3600 computer sitting at your door screaming "STEAL ME!!!"

Guest Lila I.

Seriously, pizza slices have shrunk! I would much rather pay more and feel like I ate lol. 

I actually have an apple store 10 min away so I will probably get it from there. I just saw on their site that they do trade-ins and mine is worth $260 hahaha, any little bit helps!
And you’re a huge help :) Thanks again. 

$260 is $260! But I am dead serious about the 8GB Video Card AND buying a 27” iMac. Do not let them talk you into a 24” M1 Mac. 

With the M1 series, everything is built into one chip. No upgrading ANYTHING after the fact. (HD Space, RAM, Video Card Choice, CPU, it’s all built into a single chip. Want more? Buy a new computer.)