New iMac choices

Renee Zotov

Hi Brian,
I'm wanting to upgrade to a new iMac from my MacBook pro and am curious on what one to actually get.
Apart from knowing I need the most RAM I can afford I don't know the different between the different processors and what difference they make.  
Any advice is much appreciated!

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 4.32.33 PM.png

First things first...

Is this the 27" model or the stupid 24" or 21.5" model? The reason that I ask is, when it comes to Apple:

Go Big or Go Home!!

What I always recommend to people, including myself, is to start with the most expensive 27" iMac Model and then go upgrading things. Why? Because Apple charges you MORE FOR THE SAME EXACT COMPONENT UPGRADE if you went with the lower model trying to "Save" money. That's right...that 1TB HD upgrade is CHEAPER if you went with the most expensive 27" iMac!! So if you chose a $1999 or $1799 model, the HD upgrade would probably cost you about $100 more. Nice, eh? 

When it's all said and done, this is what I would buy today, right now. I would then purchase a 32GB Upgrade Kit from Crucial (or their resellers) to upgrade the RAM from 8GB to 40GB. This upgrade should cost you no more than $300 or so. For the same upgrade from Apple, well to take it to 32GB, would cost $1000 on top of the iMac's cost and you will have less RAM in the end. So why pay $1000 and get less? Save that money and get more for it. ;)  Anyway, here is the configuration:

539957304_ScreenShot2022-02-09at7_12_21PM.thumb.png.c985203897cf0e32714652b4d7f682d0.png

Cost is $3229 before AppleCare, Shipping & Tax. Prices are in US Dollars.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY A 21.5" iMac. You are not saving ANY money in the slightest. Apple has crippled that iMac line and they can not be easily upgraded after the fact, since there isn't any access panels. You get a better motherboard, better components, better speed, better configuration options if you went with a 27" model. The 21.5" iMacs are meant for General Computing...meaning: Wasting time on FB, Pinterest and the like, answering e-mail, paying bills, watching Netflix, stuff like that. The 21.5" iMac is fine. As soon as you throw "Photo Editing" or worse yet, "Video Editing" into the mix, you are no longer a "General Computer User."

Why do I recommend the things that I do? Because when I build my computers, I have a 7-8 year time-frame in mind. I'm not forking out my hard-earned cash every two years or so. My 2017 27" iMac is still going strong and I have at least another 5-6 years of usage out of the thing. So I'd rather fork out $3600 now, have it last for 7 years than to fork out $2500 every 24-36 months. KWIM? $3600-ish vs $7500. Something to think about. 

Yes. That looks like the RAM. 

What I would do, is remove the existing Apple RAM and put those two 16GB sticks in those slots. Then install the Apple RAM in the empty slots. It’s easy to do, takes about 5 min or so, lots and lots of YouTube videos demonstrating the process. When you are done, head to the Apple Menu and select “About this Mac…” it should say 40GB. 

Brian, While  I understand an i9 would be the best of the best, would an i7 be sufficient to run Photoshop? For reference, this is the computer I currently have and it works just fine for my needs. If it wasn't for the power button becoming unreliable I wouldn't be looking for a new computer. Thank you. 

DELLY.JPG

Also, I read what you're saying about recommending a 27" over a 21.5", but what about a 24inch?

Please tell me what  I am adding wrong on this if anything, but when I do the same specs to the cart you recommend, (8GB then later add more from crucial, and 1TB, magic keyboard with numerics) the total price says $1929 for the 24in. This is much less than the 27" and more in my price point as well as would fit my desk area, a 27" would not fit....

What are your thoughts? 

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac/blue-24-inch-8-core-cpu-8-core-gpu-8gb-memory-512gb

The problem with the 24" iMac, is that it's a M1 Mac. Which means, NO UPGRADING AFTER THE FACT. Everything is built into ONE Chip. RAM, CPU, HD, Video Processor, basically the whole computer is built into one chip. So you need to spend Apple's over-priced upgrades at the time of purchase. PLUS!! the current 24" M1 Screens don't play well with today's current calibration devices. So forget calibrating those 24" iMacs.

So no...I really don't recommend a 21.5" iMac or even a 24" Model. Out of the two, yes the 24" is "better," but I think we need to wait another few years before I start telling people to go out and buy a M1 Mac. Of course, it's your money / wallet and I can totally see where a 24" Model would be way more affordable. I can say this, you are an early-adopter and that comes with all of the benefits and drawbacks with being one. So expect problems. Expect weird shit to happen. Expect to ask "Why is this computer doing this?" You will have to just suck-it-up and deal with it until a patch is released for whatever you might experience. Some folks rave about their M1 Macs and tell me that I'm completely wrong. That's fine.

Oh, an i7 would work "fine" for Photoshop in 2022. But I build my computers with a 7-8 year time-frame in mind. An i9 will get you to 7-8 years, a i7...probably 4-5 at most. So plan on buying a new Mac in about 4-5 years or so, for when Photoshop CC 2027 is released. Remember, each and every update to PS, Adobe makes it more bloated and incompatible. LOL!!