Can I upgrade to high Sierra, please?

TQfan

Hey, my MBP is on Sierra osx but my iMac is Catalina.  I could upgrade it to Sierra but wondering if going to High Sierra would be okay, considering I am still using Photoshop CS6... I use illustrator a lot, in design sometimes, hence me sticking with CS6 rather than the monthly subscription (I don't use the other enough to warrant the money Adobe want). So really, I'd like to know if CS6 still works okay with High Sierra? Thanks 😀

CS6 works fine up to MacOS Mojave, which is just after High Sierra. Catalina changed the rules, and CS6 doesn't work at all. Sometimes you can get it to install, but then it immediately crashes, so don't bother using CS6 and Catalina or above. :) 

So you should be fine upgrading to High Sierra. Or you can upgrade to Mojave. With computers running older Operating Systems such as yours, please for the love of all that is good-and-green...MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FULL BACKUP AND HAVE COMPLETED ALL CLIENT WORK BEFORE MESSING AROUND WITH YOUR COMPUTER. These types of upgrades can go smoothly, or make your computer a complete mess. Also, make sure things like PS Actions, Brushes, License Keys and such are backed up somewhere else other than your internal HD. Even if you throw them on a Thumb-drive. Also figure out how your e-mail is setup and see if you know your e-mail passwords. 

I can't tell you how many times I've been in your situation, and have the computer blow-up in my face! No fault of my own, it's just something that happens. So make sure you can afford to have it blow up in your face un-expectedly. I don't want to see any panic posts begging for help after I have warned you. ;)

Here is Apple's Links to older Mac Operating Systems. The only thing that you need to do is use the Safari Web Browser when clicking on the links. The links on that web page will NOT work if you use Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Opera...or whatever web browser is your default choice. You MUST use Safari!!!

How to get old versions of the MacOS

Click on the appropriate MacOS Link and it will take you to the software download from the App Store.

Hi Brian, thank you for the reply. 

I have been backing everything up yesterday and am nearly done. 

I found that Apple page yesterday but I was using chrome and nothing happened when I clicked to download, so that’ll explain what happened there, use Safari!!

I already went to Sierra on my MBP when I upgraded to an SSD a couple of years ago, so I could backup it and upgrade it too. It can be the Guinea pig 🤣 

My email is web based so no issues there and I access it on my other devices, too. 

The only reason I want to upgrade is because another software isn’t working and I’m assuming it’s because it’s now upgraded too far for El Capitan 🙄 as it works on my MBP fine. It will check for updates on the iMac and update it just won’t load properly. So fingers crossed this works and doesn’t blow up my computer 🤞🏼🔥🤣

Thanks Brian, I’ll let you know how it goes when I get around to upgrading it 😬

Yep. You need to update to a newer OS. Keep in mind, this is a one-way thing. If you want to go back, for whatever reason, you will need to format your HD and reinstall the older OS. No downgrading for you. 

Hey Brian 

I got my iMac upgraded to high Sierra no problems 😄 and that software now works properly 👏🏼

I’m now in the middle of backing up my MBP and then I’ll upgrade it, too. Might go straight to Mohave with it instead of upgrading it twice 🤔

Thank you for the info, much appreciated 😊

Yeah, Mojave is a very stable OS and at this point, if all of your devices will run it, it's worth considering to match all of your devices. Things change once you get to Catalina and CS6 will flat-out stop working.

Updated the MBP to Mohave and have just gone to update my iMac but it’s a few months too old 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣 so High Sierra it is. Such a pity as Mohave is so pretty on dark mode 😍

Thanks again 😄