iMac ? NO more 27", its discontinued

Kendra

This is a follow up to the thread started by ReNee Zoltov "New iMac choices" , it wouldn't let me reply to you. 

Wasn't the 27" M1 as well? Also, did you know this? I just chatted with Apple support tonight...27" is now discontinued and not available. 

Can the 24" Not upgrade RAM like you said the 27" could when you were talking above? Or can it? 

Since you cant calibrate the screen, is it fairly accurate for photos/prints?

Overall, Is there any computer you would recommend at this point? I spoke with you in the Windows forum, and it seemed like there wasn't any good options Windows wise, so I switched to here/Apple forum.. But now you say there's drawbacks with Apple too...whats the best option? Thank you.  

brian.JPG

I know. Apple JUST quietly removed the 27” Intel Based iMac. I’m going to have to rethink things. The bad news is, there will be less choices and you will end up paying more. :/ 

When it comes to a M1 Mac, you need to purchase all of the upgrades at the time of purchase, no upgrading or replacing things after the fact. The good news is, M1 chips treat RAM a little differently and 16GB is like having 32GB on a Intel Mac. 

My day job has me quite busy this week. New articles will be written. I can say this: Start saving and prepare to BUY NOW because China is in another lockdown and that means supply problems starting in the next month or so. 

Like 2020 and 2021, it really sucks to be in the market for a new computer in 2022. I think we are past the point of no return, plan on replacing your computer every 3-4 years going forward. Supply Chain issues are our reality for at least 3-5 years. COVID isn’t going away and the world has gone insane.  

Oh, the fancy 24” M1 Macs can’t be calibrated, the screens are incompatible. I predict new Calibration Devices soon to compensate. The SpyderX Series was recently on sale and the only time they do that is when they are trying to clear out stock. As to when new devices will be out, not sure. 

OK. I'm now sitting at my computer and have checked out Apple's Website. As I've stated above, Apple quietly discontinued the 27" iMac. There is a potential work-around, and it's basically buying a 27" Mac that is not an "All-in-One," but a Classic Display / Computer setup. Which isn't a "Bad" thing, just different. Chances are, my next Mac in the future will be something along those lines. The downside, your wallet needs to brace-itself. 

• Buy a M1 "tricked-out" Mac Mini and purchase a new Mac Studio Retina Display. This is where it gets a little expensive as with any M1-based Mac, you need to purchase the "extras" various OVERPRICED Upgrades at the time of purchase. No trying to upgrade things after the fact. If you want to upgrade, you are buying a new computer. Period. Now, I'm sure someone will try and tell me that I'm wrong, and that you don't "NEED" certain items, because it's not an Intel CPU, but I am a firm believer in "Buy it Right - Buy it Once." When I configure my computers, I have a 7-8 year time-frame in mind. I do not like buying a new computer every 3-4 years, but ALL Manufacturers today want you to do just that; buy a new computer every 24-36 months. Why bother fixing it? Why bother making a computer that lasts? There is MONEY TO BE MADE!!! LET'S GET YOU BACK IN THE MARKET SOONER RATHER THAN LATER!!! OK, I'm really digressing here and I need to write that updated article. :)  Anyway...

• The Mac. Basically pick one. A tricked out Mac Mini is an option. So is buying a new Mac Studio, which is what I'd probably buy. Apple seems to be splitting the 27" iMac in to two components for more flexibility. For lack of a better term, there is what I will call a "Standard" Mac Studio and an "Enhanced" Mac Studio. They are basically the Standard Model and Performance Model, or a "Pro-sumer" Model and a "Professional" Model. Or...one that is meant for still photos and graphics, the other for more video and music production. Basically, pick-your-poison and your price-point. It's only Money, right? OK, now that's out of the way, here we go...

For the majority of Photographers, this is what I picked for the "Mac Studio" and as of right now, what I would personally purchase today:

• Start with the new $1999 Apple Mac Studio on the left, and upgraded a few things:
    • Upgrade the CPU to the Apple M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
    • Increase the RAM to 64GB
    • Increase the Hard Drive to 1TB
    • Then add AppleCare

• It should look like this:

1917594692_ScreenShot2022-03-16at10_24_18PM.thumb.png.46ddc479aab6fcb456fa5cb7718cc9c3.png

• Click Continue, this will take you to the screen where you can choose the Display
    • Pick the Standard Glass
    • Pick the Tilt-Adjustable Stand
    • Add 3 Years of AppleCare Service

• It should look like this:
    53889607_ScreenShot2022-03-16at10_31_03PM.thumb.png.02bbabbebf94696f0657a66765c7eb85.png
  • Click "Add to Bag."

• At this point, you have the option of purchasing a new Mac Keyboard with Number-Pad (The Number Pad is totally worth it) and Magic Mouse.
  • Keep in mind, there are two colors, a Keyboard with Black Keys and one with White Keys.
  • Same thing goes for the Magic Mouse, there is the classic White Version and now a newer Black Version.
  • You could save a little here and use a Keyboard & Mouse from an older iMac, or purchase this one without the Touch-ID feature.
  • That said, many some people like everything to match so for this example, we will add both of the same color. I'm choosing White.

Alright, still with me? Now it's time for your Wallet to Cry-out in PAIN. The cost for all the items in your cart is now $5093.30. Depending on your region, Tax & Shipping may more may-not be added, but it will be listed. At this point you are probably looking around $5000 give-or-take before applicable Shipping and Tax. That pains me to type that. $5100 for a Mac, that's not even a Mac Pro!! Apple really wants you to "Go Big or Go Home" and people thought the 27" iMac for $3800-ish (tricked-out) was expensive.

Welcome to 2022 pricing!!

Prices are still double / triple than what they should be. COVID and supply shortages and all the BS happening in the world, have driven up prices. It's not just technology and things like Rent, Food, Housing have all increased. Homes around me 5-8 years ago would have been $250,000 - $300,000-ish are now starting in the low 400's. Granted, I'm fortunate to live in a cheaper area on the east cost of the US, but still...almost half-a-million for a stinkin' new house that's built like crap is a little unsettling. My salary hasn't increased much either. Anyway, back to computers...

A Windows Computer that's "Good for Photo Editing" has historically always been cheaper, are now $2400-$3000 on the average. Not including the cost of the Display if needed. The 27" Intel iMacs were right around the same price-point, though in the $3000 range. I've never seen where a Windows Computer and Mac were around the same price since 1984!! Let that sink in; Macs have always been priced more.

So Apple, and other manufactures are trying to make up for lost revenue. I am thinking of a Mac Mini Configuration with a LG 5K display, though good luck getting the display. Either way, that price will probably be around $4000-ish.

Look for my article later this week.

Edit: We have gotten used to "Cheap" prices with Macs. In 1984 a 128K Macintosh with a B&W 10" screen was $2495. Adjusted for inflation, that is $6813 in today's money. So Macs are still "technically" cheaper than when first introduced and are way more powerful. Still sucks for your wallet though.

• Thanks 1