New laptop through metabox

Hi Brian,

I'm looking at getting a new laptop through metabox.com.au, and want your thoughts.  Details below:

The laptop is customization with upgrades, please check it out:

https://www.metabox.com.au/store/b249/Metabox-Multimedia-Photo-Pro-15-Laptop

I've checked the display type, and it's IPS: 

15.6" UHD (4K) IPS-Grade Edge-to-Edge Matte 60Hz LED - 100% SRGB & X-Rite Pro Colour Calibration

Thanks in advance

It's not bad. I would change a few things:

1. You want Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Unless you have a OEM Copy (Key) handy, you are going to want an Operating System. I like Windows 10 Pro.
  2. You want at least 32GB of RAM. 16GB is the absolute bare-minimum these days. I realize costs are an issue, but welcome to 2022 pricing. It sucks. Period.
  3. I'm not a fan of the Kingston m.2 drive. It's "fine," but it seems you don't have a chance to pick something else, like a Samsung m.2 drive.
  4. I know this sounds silly, but I'd also spring for the extra $35 and get the higher-grade thermal paste. It's a laptop and something like this you want to be a once-and-done thing. Heat is the enemy with laptops.
  5. The 3 year warranty seems to be on sale, and it worth getting. Why? Because I have a feeling this laptop you will get 3-4 years out of. Hopefully it lasts longer though. :) 

Thanks Brian.  I appreciate it!

Yes, I saw your blurb on pricing.  Oh well.

There was something on a hard-drive upgrade (option 😎 - Samsung 870 QVO 1TB SATA 3 SSD was one of them.

Good to know it's 'not bad', but I'll keep looking too.  Any laptops you can recommended from memory?

m.2 technology is the better one compared to SSD. That said, that m.2 Kingston Drive is a "Run of the Mill..." or a "Meh" option. It works, yes. Would I like a Samsung EVO m.2 drive? YES.

The absolute biggest thing when shopping for a laptop for photo-editing, is you need to choose one that has a IPS Display Panel. That's the hardest thing to find. The second thing that is the most difficult to find, is a laptop that has a dedicated GPU and dedicated Video Memory. Granted, many of the "Gaming" Laptops have this option, so it's not as difficult as it once was, but it is still something you need to be on the look-out for. This unit comes with a NVIDIA RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6. Which isn't too shabby.

Combine that with how fluid laptops are; companies used to have a "Spring Line" and a "Fall Line." Apple still does this. All of the other manufactures seem to have gotten away from this model. In fact, Give it 4-6 weeks and that model you are looking at will be gone and replaced by another model. Well, maybe 90 days or so, since parts are still difficult to get from China. So that's why I don't go creating "Buy this laptop..." pages, the stuff will be discontinued a week after I find one that's "Good for Photo Editing." I just don't have time to babysit "What to Buy" Links.

Honestly? That laptop really checks all of the boxes and you really should consider buying it. That blasted IPS Display Panel is like trying to find a Proverbial Unicorn. You just don't come across that many models with that screen. Plus, a 1TB HD is a 1TB HD.

Thanks Brian!  I went through your requirements, ad the first thing i was looking for was IPS screen.  Understood!

The only other option Im considering now is AFTERSHOCK - they seem to have more choice and the graphics has an upgrade.

The screen is IPS too:

https://www.aftershockpc.com.au/pc-models/vapor-15-proplus?completed=&selections={"primary_ssd"%3A41316571971739%2C"seconday_ssd"%3A39452897345691%2C"operating_system"%3A39452897083547%2C"mouse_mat"%3A39452896952475}&step=support

You might want to contact them and see if it is a true IPS Display. I'm just seeing this:

999207025_ScreenShot2022-04-07at7_45_08AM.thumb.png.e47093591705f31cf13846712f2c9588.png

Since IPS Display Panels cost more, manufactures will usually brag about this and mention it in their technical specifications. I'm just seeing "Wide Color Gamut" which is a little vague. The rest of the laptop is fine and is "better" than the other one. 

Thanks Brian. Yes, indeed.

That's the first thing I did.  I'm awaiting a reply after they check with their supplier on the display.  I've found pretty recent blogs stating that its an IPS, but absolutely need clarification.  Here's what they said:

"I can advise that the Display would be a similar technology to IPS and there is a matte finish.

I will need to contact our manufacturer as this information was not provided in the official specifications".

I'll pull the trigger on this laptop if i hear the good news about the screen, as these laptops are really well reviewed.  Thanks for all your help.

26 minutes ago, Daniel.K said:

similar technology to IPS

But that's not IPS. I hate the "It's just as good as..." way of thinking. No, it is not. You can buy and external IPS screen and use that to edit on.

But I know, "Portability!!" "I can't be chained to my Desk!! I MUST BE FREE!!!" or "I need to edit by the Pool or in the Car on my way to Vacation / Holiday!!" Yes, I've heard ALL of these before and the members were dead serious too.

Haha...all good.  Yes, I'm not taking his word for it that its 'just as good, similar etc...I'll await the word from the manufacturers...

Yes, I read all that too...understood.

Hi Brian,

Just a quick update.  I decided to wait for EOFY sales to get more bang for the buck.  So, I need help on the choices if i can. The choices are below.  I'm thinking the metabox or aftershock. Your thoughts please?:

1:

https://www.metabox.com.au/store/b383/Metabox-Prime-SR-PD50PNN-Laptop

Metabox Prime-SR PD50PNN
Intel Core i9-12900H 14-Core (24M Cache up to 5.0 GHz)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070Ti 8GB GDDR6 VRAM (140W TGP & dGPU MUXed Graphics Switch)
Ultra Liquid Metal Thermal Dissipation
15.6" QHD (3K) IPS-Grade Edge-to-Edge Matte 165Hz LED - 100% SRGB with X-Rite Pro Colour Calibration
Per-Key Edge-Lit Colour Keyboard - Adjustable Colours Per-Key
64GB DDR4 3200MHZ (2 x 32GB)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
Team MP33 Pro NVMe M.2 Pcie SSD 1TB
Intel AX201 Dual Band WIFI & Bluetooth 5.1 (up to 2.4 Gbps)
No Optical Disc Drive - Optional Upgrade
Win 10 Professional 64BIT License - Installed & Ready-Out-Of-The-Box
3 Year Metabox Platinum Care Onsite Pickup Protection.

2:

https://www.aftershockpc.com.au/pc-models/vapor-15x-12th-gen

DISPLAY: 15.6" 240Hz 1440p Wide Color Gamut Display
CPU:Intel® Core i9-12900H Processor (14 Core 12th Gen)
GRAPHICS CARD:NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 16GB GDDR6 | (150W+25W boost)
RAM:64GB Kingston Fury Impact 4800MHz DDR5 SODIMM CL38-38-38 (2x32GB)

PRIMARY SSD:1TB Gen4 Samsung M.2. NVME (R: 7000MB/s | W: 5100MB/s)
SECONDARY SSD:1TB Gen4 Samsung M.2. NVME (R: 7000MB/s | W: 5100MB/s)
THERMAL COMPOUND:
Liquid Metal Thermal Cooling
WI-FI + BLUETOOTH:Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201
BATTERY SIZE:62Wh Battery
OPERATING SYSTEM:Windows 11 Professional 64 Bit

WARRANTY:
3 Year Warranty - Pickup and return from your location

3:

https://www.alliedgamingpc.com.au/allied-tomcat-16-ryzen-9-5900hx-rtx-3080-16GB-gaming-laptop

ALLIED TOMCAT-A 16" RYZEN 9 5900HX RTX 3080 16GB GAMING LAPTOP

PROCESSOR
AMD RYZEN 9 5900HX PROCESSOR
GRAPHICS CARD
NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 16GB MOBILE
MEMORY
32GB [3200MHZ] DDR4 SO-DIMM RAM (2 X 16GB MODULES)
OPERATING SYSTEM SSD
1TB NVME M.2 SOLID STATE DRIVE
ADDITIONAL SSD
1TB NVME M.2 SOLID STATE DRIVE
OPERATING SYSTEM ACTIVATION
MICROSOFT WINDOWS 10 PROFESSIONAL ACTIVATION
WARRANTY
3 YEAR RETURN TO BASE WARRANTY
BONUS PERIPHERALS
BONUS WARHEAD, FIREHAWK & FLASHBANG

Out of the 3, #1 is the only one that mentions an IPS Display, but “IPS Grade” doesn’t sound like a true IPS display. See how difficult it is to find a IPS Display in a stupid laptop? 

I’d go with #1 out of the three and be prepared to use an external display, though give it a shot. You might get lucky. 

Hi Brian. I only just saw this as i found the reply notification in my spam.

Thanks for looking at them.  Yes, it's tricky - especially when 'IPS level' is talked about, as that's not even IPS.

So, I called metabox and they confirmed it's an actual IPS screen. They said that they can't use the term IPS on it's own due to LG patents (didn't know this).

Aftershock and Allied are IPS to - both confimed via call/email.

Or i could just get the following screen for it from the screen option customization.   It's IPS. Is FHD still ok these days??:

15.6" FHD 1920 x 1080 IPS Edge-to-Edge Matte 144Hz LED