Cannot open Lightroom Catalogs after macOS Monterey update

Queen Bee

I recently updated my computer to macOS Monterey and now when I try to open my Lightroom Catalogs I get the following error...
"The Lightroom catalog cannot be used because the parent folder “/Volumes/XXX(Mac)/XXX/Photos” does not allow files to be created within it.
Please either fix the folder permissions before continuing or choose a different catalog.
Also, when I create a new catalog, I am unable to import photos from my external drive.
Thanks in advance for your help!

You have some serious permissions issues. I guess fill this form out and post the results in this thread. Are you using the absolute latest-and-greatest Photoshop, ACR and Lightroom CC? Adobe just released an update a few days ago. (At least for me.)

I think I know what the problem is. It’s not a true “Permissions” issue per se; it has to do with the new built in Security with a modern MacOS. Basically, we need to tell your new MacOS that it’s ok for LR to read / write to folders. 

One thing to keep in mind, that when it comes to Monterey, you need to be using the very latest of Adobe’s software. So make sure things are completely updated before we go into your security settings. 

I’m on Catalina, but the steps should be similar. I will post screenshots when I get home tonight. 

Hello Brian! 

Thank you for your expeditious responses. I have checked and am using the latest version of Lightroom Classic. When I did the Monterey update, I also updated my Lightroom Classic software. I attached a picture with the responses to the questions from the form you asked me to fill out. I am able to open up my photos in Lightroom without a problem, however, I am not using the latest version of it. I'm using version 5.2 for that one.

I'll try the steps in the link you sent me now and see if that works.

Thanks again for your help!

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 11.12.04 AM.png

Cool Beans!!

Here are the current versions of Photoshop CC & Lightroom CC. When it comes to Monterey, you really need to be on the latest version.

1455718485_ScreenShot2022-04-14at8_25_15PM.thumb.png.e57a90cf1f36ad87ebb6e576955f1439.png

So up at the top, near the clock is the Adobe Mothership CC Thingy. Click "Updates" in the left column and if you need to, click "Check for Updates" on the right. Get your LR/PS/Bridge/ACR up to date. Plus! I want you to do this:

Setting up Photoshop

Start from the top and work your way down.

• Like 1