2022 Computer & Monitor Help please

Hi Brian, can I please have your opinion on the following. I currently have a Dell Laptop running Windows 10 that is not coping with my camera upgrade to 45mp. I have read a lot of your older posts and am leaning away from a laptop and more towards a desktop. I have included 2 in the link below along with 3 monitors. (They are all in New Zealand $). 

Would either of these desktops be sufficient as they are, or would I need to upgrade to 64GB? Thought on Windows 11?

Could I also have your opinion on the 3 IPS monitors in the link.

Thank you. 

https://www.dell.com/en-nz/shop/compare?ocs=on7000sffo05nz_vp,on7000mffo05nz_vp,210-bdmj,210-bdmp,210-axqj

I’d look at the Dell XPS Line instead of an Optiplex. Not only will you need 64GB at a minimum, but pay attention to the Video Card. The NVIDIA 3060 or better yet, 3070 is a much better fit for Photoshop. You want around 8GB of Video Memory. 

As for Windows 11…personally, I’m not touching it until I absolutely have to, and that’s 2025. What a lot of the manufacturers are doing is selling you a license for Windows 11, but install Windows 10. Between “Home” and “Pro,” I prefer Pro because it stays out of your way and it’s easier to fix things directly, rather than to use stupid Wizards all the time. 

Thanks Brian. I will have another look over the XPS models. I have also just had this laptop recommended to me. Of course I may need to sell my first born, but would love your opinion on it. 

https://www.dell.com/en-nz/shop/laptop-notebook-computers/alienware-x17-r2-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-x17-r2-laptop/hnawx17r203nz

Edited by Sharon G

This is the main problem with laptops. It's the display panel technology. The one you linked to I can configure it to check almost all of my check-boxes, except for the most important one: an IPS Based Display Panel. That Alienware Laptop doesn't have one.

IPS Display Panels (Screens) have a better viewing angle, have consistent colors, sharpness, brightness and contrast from corner to corner. Which is kinda important if you are editing photos. It is so difficult to find a IPS Display in a laptop. So much that I've stopped linking to them because they are discontinued in a matter of weeks and I just can't keep up.

Of course, you could get a fancy laptop and edit off of an external IPS Display, though that kills any portability. (Which to be honest, is what you want when editing photos. Consistent lighting, same viewing angle and not be tempted to edit by the Pool, Dining Room, in the car on the way to Holiday / Vacation. Yes, someone asked me for which laptop to buy so they can edit in the car, SMDH.)

The other thing with those laptops, is Dell is taking a cue from Apple, meaning you can not upgrade anything after the initial purchase. Well, at least not without taking the entire thing apart, and that's something that I will not tell you to do. Too much liability. So with that in mind, here is that laptop configured by me:

1916803952_ScreenShot2022-05-11at7_45_19PM.thumb.png.b06011eddd3c801e74fa77733cf5fcc4.png

Yep. That's expensive. Way too much money to spend on a damn laptop, IMHO. Even in NZ$.