Should I still buy a 27 inch if I find one?

EDi

Hi there, I am going to buy a new Mac (desktop) and have found this for sale at a local tech shop. It's brand new but is on clearance because it's discontinued I guess? Would I be better to get this, or something newer?  Apple iMac Pro 3.2GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W processorTurbo Boost up to 4.2GHz 32GB of 2666MHz ECC memory, 1TB of SSD storage, Radeon Pro Vega 56 with 8GB of HBM2 memory, 10Gb Ethernet, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports.  It's $5465 Australian dollars.  Are there any disadvantages to buying an older model? Thanks so much 

Emma

If you can find a 27” iMac that meets my specs to run PS go for it. The problem is, this is a Mac Pro and is way overkill for Photoshop work. If you were editing Video, I’d say this is a good deal. 

The problem is the lack of choices. For something new, you are looking at a Mac Studio with the new 27” Display. That’s a $5200-ish purchase here in the States, I’d hate to see the price tag in OZ. 

I have heard of reports that PS actually  runs slower on a Mac Pro such as this one, or it’s just more likely that PS will not take advantage of the speed with this computer. Like buying a Million Dollar Sports car and only driving 5 Kilometers to the store and back twice a week. KWIM? 

If it were me and my money, if I was just running PS CC, I’d pass. Even though it’s a great computer. All of that Xeon stuff PS ignores. 

• Like 1

Still looking- I really can't afford the Mac Studio option sadly. My current computer is a 2017 iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017) 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4. I saw a 2020 Apple iMac with Retina 5K display 27-inch 3.1GHz 256GB at JB Hi Fi for $2740 AU. Would that be much of an improvement on what I have got?  Is it poss to get that one calibrated? 

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

That’s the tough thing with “What to Buy” articles, things change and availability at a future moment in time.

DO NOT BUY A MAC WITH A 256GB HD!!!

1TB or more! Trust me! 

You buy any Mac for PS Work and I will guarantee that you will be right back in here asking questions (begging for help) because PS is complaining about lack of space for the scratch disk. 

Keep saving. it sucks to be in the Market now for a new computer. Everything costs more. Homes in my area jumped $200,000 - $300,000 in price. (And I don’t live in a “rich” area.) Windows Computers that are “Good for Photo Editing,” cost $2500 - $3000. Macs are over the $5000 Mark. 

New Macintosh Computers CAN NOT BE UPGRADED AFTER THE INITIAL PURCHASE. Apple wants you to “Go Big or Go Home.” The CPU, RAM, HD Controller and GPU are all built into one chip! So there is no upgrading after the fact. The days of buying a Mac, then adding RAM in a few years are OVER. They are more like glorified iPads…need more RAM? A bigger HD? Buy a new Computer! 

Whatever you do, avoid buying a 21.5” Mac, even though it’s tempting. They are a waste of money. I’m currently running on a 27” iMac from 2017. PS is using more resources now, but it still works. I hope to get another 3 years out of mine. 

• Like 1

The 2020 27” iMacs can be calibrated with the current devices. It’s just that HD, 256GB is meant for “General Computing,” not Photoshop Work. Honestly, at this point in time, I’d be on the hunt for a 27” iMac from 2020. That’s where you should focus your efforts.

2017 Macs, while fine for right now, may not be in a year or two. I’m hoping mine lasts until 2025 before I buy a new one. If I had to purchase a used Mac now, it would be a 2020 27” iMac with a decent video card and 1TB HD. RAM, don’t care because I can upgrade it myself. (Well, if it’s an Intel Mac.) I’d probably upgrade my 2020 27” iMac to 72GB of RAM. I’d add two 32GB Sticks and keep the existing 8GB that comes with the computer.

• Like 1