Used mac options

LesGle

Hi Brian, in looking for a previously owned 27-inch iMac, I’ve narrowed it down to these options. Do you have a suggestion on which one is best? Also the mid-2017 models are significantly cheaper than the early 2019 models, would you buy one that old if the specs were right? Or do you think I should go an entirely different route than previously owned? I need a “new” computer now and only have about $2000 saved up for it so far. Ideally this purchase would hold me over for 3-5+ years. Thanks in advance for your advice!

73D4AC73-147C-4B9C-BA9D-E152356370F5.jpeg

DB289601-38F1-4B90-909B-4E406815241C.jpeg

9E12376B-2BAE-40EC-89A3-50A4A493BDD3.jpeg

245FAFD7-F80F-4E03-94A3-10AECEF09B55.jpeg

Choices 1-3 are fine. Skip 4. I like 1& 2 the best, but I’m sure they are the most expensive.

Any of those, (1-3) will work. The only thing I do not like is the 8GB of RAM. Fortunately, you can increase the RAM yourself. I’d opt for a “32GB Kit” which is two 16GB sticks, or just take it a step further and get a 64GB kit, which is two 32GB sticks. 

Which one? Depends on what your camera is. If you are shooting with a lot of MP, like 45MP or more OR are planning on upgrading your camera, you might just want to bump the RAM up to 72GB. This way you won’t be throwing out RAM in the future. Of course, you could save cash and just upgrade it to 40GB to save money. Either way, you want at least 32GB of RAM in 2022/2023. (Or more.)

Between the 580 and 580x, the X version is “faster,” which about 15% or so more powerful, which is a good thing since each update that Adobe releases utilizes the Graphics GPU and dedicated Video Memory more and more. But honestly, it’s a wash between the two when it comes to PS. It all boils down to money and how much you are left over after Tax and AppleCare, if it’s available. 

Thanks so much. Yes, I was planning on upgrading the RAM myself after reading another article by you on how to do that, as well as getting Apple Care. This is very helpful, thank you!! 

Lots of YouTube Videos demonstrating the process on upgrading RAM on a 27” iMac. Honestly? Takes about 10 min your 1st time, of which 7 min of that is you freaking out. :D 

When you get your Mac, let me know and I will recommend the correct RAM kit to purchase. 

• Haha 1

One more thing( if this used Mac is coming from Apple, that’s great! One caveat: what you see is what Apple has in stock for sale. There is no “Computer in the Back.” So if you see something you like and can afford it, don’t wait, buy it. Especially since the 27” iMacs have been discontinued; that iMac you have your eye on could be gone in a few hours. 

Ok, sounds good, thanks! I’m actually looking on macofalltrades.com, however I don’t see that you can add AppleCare. Is that something that I can add on separately through Apple? Have you had any experience with this site?

9 hours ago, LesGle said:

Is that something that I can add on separately through Apple? Have you had any experience with this site?

Never heard of them. You can only get AppleCare if you buy a used Mac through Apple directly, I believe. I have seen AppleCare being sold individually, but I think you have to buy the Mac new within 30-90 Days or something, but I'm not sure. That said, buying a used Mac from a 3rd party?  Buahahaahaha!! This is Apple we are talking about, there is no way in Hell that is going to happen! ;) 

Here is some info directly from Apple:

887469742_ScreenShot2022-09-05at1_08_53PM.thumb.png.a3e2afe8d5669ab3e5d6af2aea3bb2bb.png

Link to the Used Mac Store: Refurbished Mac Store

Now, I just took a quick look to see what Apple had available, and of course it's filled with 21.5" iMacs. DO NOT BUY ANY OF THOSE 21.5" IMACS!!! TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY!!!

Sad to say, this is the only 27" iMac that they have and it's not cheap. But it does have 10GB Ethernet and a 8TB HD, which explains the cost. If you are wondering, why 10Gb Ethernet? If  you are editing video and primarily use an external storage device, like a Server or a NAS, and that device has 10Gb Ethernet, then you will benefit from this speed; since the bandwidth is greater, it would be like working off an Internal HD. Also, if you have faster Internet than 1 Gbps, you need a 10Gb Ethernet Jack (Or a 2.5Gb/5Gb) as well as other devices that are 10Gb, to obtain those faster speeds. For example, I have "1-Gig" Ethernet at my house from Comcast. My download speed averages 940-941 Mbps Down and 40-41 Mbps up. If I had 10-Gig Ethernet, I'd probably get 4000-6000 Mbps or so down and that much up. To see a demonstration on those speeds, give this Snazzy Labs Video a watch. It's pretty fun. (Well, at least for a Nerd like me.)

So for the vast majority of people out there for everyday usage that don't have a NAS on their network, and have slower Internet (less than 300 down) there will be no benefit to 10-Gig Ethernet. That being said, I think we will see 2.5 Gig and 5 Gig Ethernet on computers within the next few years. For me personally, I plan on having a 10 Gig Ethernet Network on my next computer since I will be building a Network lab and such, including building my own NAS. (Network Attached Storage.) 10 Gig Ethernet will be the future, in the next 10 years or so, just like 1 Gig Ethernet is now the common standard. Back in the early 2000's, 10 / 100Mbps was all the rage.

So, I’ve been watching the Apple store and they just listed a bunch of 27” so I got this one with AppleCare+

Now to upgrade the RAM.

Also, if I scroll through this thread will I find posts on how to setup/calibrate this when it arrives?

B7104D2F-FB4F-4E5C-9F1E-8F91F0F0D61D.jpeg

On 9/22/2022 at 3:52 AM, LesGle said:

Now to upgrade the RAM.

Here is the RAM:

2020 27" iMac - Crucial RAM Upgrade Kit from B&H

You can upgrade to 72GB for $250 or upgrade to 40GB for $125. What would I do? 40GB is "Fine," but if you are ever planning on upgrading to a camera that has 45MP or more, you'll want that 72GB (64GB Upgrade Kit.) Buy it Right, Buy it Once. You might regret $250 at this very moment, but in 5 years...you won't. Oh, I'd also still keep the existing Apple RAM, you will just move the existing RAM to the slots that are currently empty and install the Crucial RAM in the slots that the two 4GB sticks occupies. That's how I get 40GB and 72GB, we are keeping the existing RAM.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:49 AM, LesGle said:

Also, what is the best way to do a second monitor?

Use a Thunderbolt Port to HDMI or DisplayPort Adapter. Here is one. Which adapter you purchase depends on what monitor you get. It's either going to be a USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort in 2022/2023.

15 hours ago, Brian said:

Here is the RAM:

2020 27" iMac - Crucial RAM Upgrade Kit from B&H

You can upgrade to 72GB for $250 or upgrade to 40GB for $125. What would I do? 40GB is "Fine," but if you are ever planning on upgrading to a camera that has 45MP or more, you'll want that 72GB (64GB Upgrade Kit.) 

Thanks for the link, I just got that. 

15 hours ago, Brian said:

Use a Thunderbolt Port to HDMI or DisplayPort Adapter. Here is one. Which adapter you purchase depends on what monitor you get. It's either going to be a USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort in 2022/2023.

Thank you. I was mostly asking about what type of second monitor to get. Is there such a thing as a 27” 5K Mac display or should I be looking for a different make/model? Is it even possible to calibrate them to look the same?

2 hours ago, LesGle said:

Is there such a thing as a 27” 5K Mac display or should I be looking for a different make/model?

There is. It's called the Mac Studio Display and it's $1600.

I'm sure your next question will be, "What about the other one I've heard about?"

LG makes one and Apple helped develop it. I've heard mixed reviews, and it's still expensive at $1300. For a $300 price-difference and if you want the "Macintosh Experience," it's probably best to just spend the extra $300 and get the Apple Studio Display. Man, that was painful to type. Ugh. $1600 for a Friggin' Display. You can get a Dell IPS Display for around $540 but the screen will not be the same; if you end up going  that route, please have "Realistic Expectations." Apple Displays just look...different...for lack of a better term. Yes, Apple does this deliberately. Why do you think they have 5K Displays when the rest of the world is using 4K? 

2 hours ago, LesGle said:

Is it even possible to calibrate them to look the same?

Nope. You can get them CLOSE, but both monitors will be slightly different or even vastly different. So you edit on the one that matches your physical prints the best, and do your other stuff on the other Display.