Antivirus etc. Software

Hey Brian,

I recently bought a new computer and it came with antivirus software (free 30 day trial of McAfee). I read that it's nothing spectacular so was just wondering what is your go to for protection? Is it really needed? I don't think I've had a windows PC for a very long time, and back in the day I used to take everything antivirus related off because it was a big pain in the ass. However, now that technology has advanced and I have kids now who insist on playing online games I'd like to know how to keep everything safe.

Thanks for any advice

McAfee and Symantec Anti Virus software are often the first two to get circumvented, because they are the two giants. There also almost always seems to be some sort of Virus Definitions update for them, sometimes 2-3 on a daily basis. This gives people the impression that they need AntiVirus software. After all, computers get Viruses!!! It's Protecting YOU!!!!

Eh, not in 2022.

In the 1980's and 1990's...sure. But not now. It's more profitable to install Ransomeware and Trojans and Keyloggers to obtain back-door access. This is to get as much money from you as possible. Whether that's by getting you to call them thinking there is a Virus on your computer, or tricking you into paying for some sort of service or obtaining access to your computer, which ultimately gets them access to credit cards and bank accounts. This is the true goal: "Get-the-Money-Get-the-Money-Get-the-Money-Get-the-Money!!!!" Plenty of YouTube Videos of people going after these crooks, see here and here. It's fascinating to watch on how these guys work. They sound so convincing and can steal tens of thousands of dollars from people each month. Or more.

McAfee and Symantec, they often get in my way and suck up a lot of resources from your computer. So much they are often the first things I un-install!! Believe it or not, the built-in Windows Defender in Windows is quite good and is free. The downside is you need to check for Windows Updates more often to get the Definition Updates as they come through Windows Update. The other software that I like and recommend is Webroot Antivirus and they seem to be running a sale on it now. Personally, I'd just get the Webroot Antivirus, the cheapest one. If you feel that you will benefit from the more expensive options, that's fine too. Oh, the downside to Webroot is that it sometimes gets a little hyper and gets in your way, especially when it comes to installing software. I've had installer programs get obliterated before they even have a chance to touch the HD. LOL!! Even though I downloaded them and they are completely safe. Sometimes I've had to disable Webroot just to complete a task and then turn it back on.

Personally, I haven't had to use AntiVirus software on any of my Macs, and I just have Windows Defender running on my Wife's computer.

• Like 1

Yes!! Get rid of it!! 

You might need to use the McAfee Removal Tool. Head to this website for more info:

https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view

The Removal Tool is really hidden on purpose. Head to “Method Two” and look for this:

D6EA15C4-E6CE-42A1-9C9B-7F1BEBC64720.thumb.jpeg.98c318e8ebaa3ea3e38554a34967c547.jpeg

See where the “MCPR tool” is above? That’s a link to the software on their website! Like I said, it’s hidden in plain sight. Just download it and run the Tool. It should Nuke McAfee.