Transferring photos to an external HD

GinaCphotography

Question

Can I ask a dumb question. I'm trying to disable the photo app, but am having a hard time transferring my files to an external. Is there an easy way to access my photo folders that are organized by date and not the jumbled mess that Iphoto has created? I've done it once before and can't seem to get to it again.

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Christina Keddie said:

Doesn't "export original" work to get the raw files out? I haven't tried it myself (because Photos is EVIL), but I thought that would work?

Yep that's how you do it! Whatever you do, don't mess around in the folder. You need to do it through the photos app. It's quite straightforward and logical once you've done it the first time.

Highlight the photos you want exported. From the file menu choose export and make sure you choose original from the options. From there you get to choose where they get exported to.

• Like 2

On 10 February 2016 at 0:56 AM, Brian said:

Sorry,  you have to do any moving / exporting from within iPhoto. You see, it imports the photos into its own catalog file, kinda like LR, but MUCH MUCH worse. Instead of leaving the photos on the HD and have their locations indexed like Lightroom does, iPhoto sucks your photos into itself. It takes them hostage and I think deletes the Raw file and only keeps the JPEG. 

So you'll have to work with the jumbled mess that is iPhoto. Good Luck.

iPhoto and Photos are evil-evil programs.

It doesn't delete the RAW file. It's still there just tucked away safely until you export it ;)

• Like 3

Sorry,  you have to do any moving / exporting from within iPhoto. You see, it imports the photos into its own catalog file, kinda like LR, but MUCH MUCH worse. Instead of leaving the photos on the HD and have their locations indexed like Lightroom does, iPhoto sucks your photos into itself. It takes them hostage and I think deletes the Raw file and only keeps the JPEG. 

So you'll have to work with the jumbled mess that is iPhoto. Good Luck.

iPhoto and Photos are evil-evil programs.

It is evil :( The raw is in there somewhere hidden. I've found it before to transfer, but it was a pain in the butt and I can't remember how I found it. If I open from ACR or photoshop all my raw photos are there neatly in folders by date, I just can't seem to find the same folders on the Mac hard drive. 

Probably not the correct way to do it, but it worked and it was easy. I opened PS, then clicked Open file. Once there it gave me ALL my photos including RAW nicely organized in their folders by date. Then I just did a quick drag and drop of each folder to the external. So easy and done in less than 10 minutes. Now I can start doing things the right way and bid farewell to the evil Photos app :$

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 2.29.09 PM.png