Laptop

Hi Brian,

im purchasing a laptop and have these two below as options. I’m curious if the cheaper model is good enough for editing. Any feedback is appreciated. 

https://www.microcenter.com/product/647015/asus-rog-strix-scar-17-g733zw-xs96-173-gaming-laptop-computer-platinum-collection-black

https://www.microcenter.com/product/663681/asus-rog-strix-scar-15-g533qs-ds94-156-gaming-laptop-computer-black

I’m leaning towards the cheaper one, but I’d like to see the RAM upgraded to 32GB. It can be upgraded to 64GB, so you might want to go the “Full Monty” and do it once. 

The cheaper one had a better screen for editing photos. The NVIDIA 3080 is also a nice choice. Believe it or not, it's the VIDEO CARD'S GPU that is more important with today's modern Adobe Photoshop than the CPU Chip!! Photoshop, and ACR use the GPU for a performance boost and ACR uses it to function. I'd rather people buy a lower-end CPU and buy a beefier Video Card when it comes to Photoshop and editing Still Photos. If you were editing Video, or were a Gamer, that's a different story.

The biggest problem is installing the RAM. Laptops no longer have easy access panels to pop things in-and-out, they are taking a cue from Apple and making them almost sealed units. So while the average person is quite capable of installing RAM, getting the damn thing apart is a HUGE challenge, and I would recommend taking it to a technician or repair shop in order to upgrade it. They will have the experience and tools, and most importantly, the patience...to get them open. Otherwise you could scratch / scuff things up or at the very worst, break some case part. I've done it myself and "...I know what I'm doing."

So while having the RAM installed my seem like a waste of money, with today's laptops, it's cheaper than buying a Tool Kit and attempting things yourself.

Yes. Two reasons:

1. Better Display. It’s a Full IPS Anti Glare Screen, not a “IPS Like” screen. In my humble opinion, thats like saying cheese substitute. It tastes just like real cheese!

2. Video Card. NVIDIA RTX 3080 with 16GB Dedicated Video Memory. This is important for today’s modern Photoshop. The days of choosing this model over that one is because this has a better CPU are over. That was 20th Century Thinking. There’s more to choosing a computer, especially if you are editing photos, than just the CPU.

RAM, I like at least 32GB in 2023. This was similar to 32MB in the middle 1990’s. The band members might change, but the song remains the same. It’s a sliding scale, really. 30 years ago we were dealing with MB and GB. Now it’s GB and TB. 

The problem with laptops is the stupid screen and that people want them to be desktop replacements. People want the portability from a laptop and if they are editing photos, a larger screen, but the full power of a Desktop. Those two worlds come at a price premium. You can’t have cheap and powerful in the same sentence when it comes to a laptop. In your case, you want the better screen at the lower price-point, but at the cost of the screen size. If you want both, you are going to have to pay for it.