Starting Fresh - HP, Sceptre

Okay so this is what I have:

Specs for HP screenshot as my husband custom ordered it. So I am not sure a link would help.  image.thumb.png.c6ebd27c2eceba72fdd62d1cede2f887.png

I have a sceptre monitor which you've already recommended I budget for a new one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081PSV6CC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I completed the Bridge class. I started the RAW class which at the time I had test and matched prints from Mpix using a spyder x elite for calibration. I decided to change labs after seeing that mpix was not recommended by Damien. In trying to match with a recommended lab, WHCC, my prints did not match.  And I am starting to question everything entirely. Haha ... 

I have tried to recalibrate several times and the prints are extremely darker than my screen. I have gotten it pretty close now. But I am also questioning the test prints I decided to submit.  

I have double checked the document profile and they are sRGB. I also dislike lightroom but for a while I was exploring it and did the dumb thing thing and transferred photos between Lightroom and Photoshop... I know I know I know .... So I am wondering of that is the problem. 

I have 3 photo sessions that I have yet to edit. 

At this point I am seeking advice as to whether I send some of the new untainted session samples to WHCC again? Try a different reputable lab? or Wait until I get a new monitor?  

Thanks for all of your help. I really do appreciate. All my orders from Mpix always matched my screen. But during the Bridge and RAW class Damien kept saying my photos were do dark, and I just kept thinking,  "Really?"  

1 hour ago, monica.rueda said:

I have tried to recalibrate several times and the prints are extremely darker than my screen.

A few things come to mind:

1. Your screen is too bright. Yes, really. Kill the brightness, even after calibration. Yes, you will get used to a darker screen. It takes about a week or so.
  2. When you compare your prints, do NOT look at the prints side-by-side with your monitor. Look at them perpendicular to one another. Or to put it another way, 90º. 
  3. The light around your computer isn't up to par. Your display should not be the brightest thing in the room. Give this article a read: The Light around your Computer.
  4. Have you followed Damien's instructions for your Spyder X Calibration?

I stopped using WHCC a long time ago. Their colors are just off. Personally, I use CPQ.com. I will warn you, a little color goes a long way with them. So don't think you need to go nuclear with colors with your editing. Their prints are very similar to Artsy Couture, but with WAY quicker turn-around times. Artsy Couture is SLOW to ship. I've also used Color Inc. and have my clients go to their consumer side, UnitPrints when I was Photographing Professionally. 

1 hour ago, monica.rueda said:

I have double checked the document profile and they are sRGB. I also dislike lightroom but for a while I was exploring it and did the dumb thing thing and transferred photos between Lightroom and Photoshop... I know I know I know .... So I am wondering of that is the problem. 

Because there is only ONE Color Space in Lightroom, ProPhoto RGB, there will ALWAYS-ALWAYS-ALWAYS be a color shift when during export. Whether that's into Photoshop or to a .jpg file. In addition, since ProPhoto RGB is so large, compared to sRGB, you will get trapped into a false sense of security and push your edits a bit too far, which causes "out of gamut" issues with printing. Meaning, the printers use sRGB, can only physically a certain range of colors and uses the best match to what your photo contains. More often than not, it gets things wrong. This is especially true if you are using a bunch of Presets and Actions to do your edits on. It's easy to make your prints look #AMAZEBALLZ online, difficult to get them to print correctly. You can't always go nilly-willy with your edits.

The thing with MPIX, is I believe they use the D50/5500K color standard that is different than the rest of the world, which is D65/6500K. Same thing with Miller's. So that tells me your existing monitor must be way off, so before going crazy, finish with what matches. Even if it's MPIX. Get things out the door and to your customers, THEN we will tackle things with your new monitor. The reason is why we don't recommend Miller's and MPIX, is that even though your prints match them, they will look like garbage to the rest of the world when you post online. The D50 color standard is warm, so it forces you to edit your photos cold in order for them to look right on the screen.

You need a decent display. The one you have is crap. Time for an upgrade.

Your current PC, is "Okay at best." Or to put it another way, "Meh." I'm not digging your Video Card Choice. Adobe's Products are relying on the video card for not only for a performance boost, but for things like Adobe Camera RAW to actually function. The choice of video card is now more important than the choice of CPU!!! Your power supply isn't sufficient to support a better video card either. So while things might be working for now, don't expect them to in the near future. By the time you upgrade things, with just the Video Card and PS, we are around $900 - $1000-ish. Just for those two items. Then you have to fight your case because it's a store-bought PC. Remember, you aren't playing video games, even though you have a "Gaming PC," Photoshop is changing the rules as it becomes more and more bloated. Remember, Adobe needs to keep people hooked on the Subscription Payment Plan, so they have to keep adding shit so that their subscribers thing they are getting something for their money.

In reality, it's time for an upgrade, but it's going to cost you about $1500 more than what you paid for. My advice? Start with the Display, then work from there.

Okay thank you! Monitor ordered. I’ll try a few different labs as well then consider changing my system. Thank you. 
And yes I did follow Damien’s calibration instructions after I changed bulbs and added more light to my editing area to include blackout curtains. I’ll keep you guys posted.