Mac upgrade or Big Sur

Hi Brian,

I just read your recent article regarding PS and Bridge running slow and your suggestion to use Big Sur.  This is my current set up.  Should I do as you suggested to the previous user regarding Big Sur installation?  I have two external hard drives connected that I store my working photos on.  Thank you for any help and advice you might have.  Kelly

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 9.18.09 AM.png

In reality? It’s time for you to replace your iMac. The reason is Apple Crippled the 21.5” on purpose, and the 8GB RAM, along with the i5 CPU and definitely the lower end graphics card concerns me. (I have the model that is the next step up with 8GB Video RAM, and it’s starting to struggle with the current versions of PS.) 

While upgrading to Big Sur will get you to the current versions of Photoshop, the lack of “Horsepower” will cause you nothing but grief when it comes to Photoshop CC 24 complaining about everything.

To answer your question, yes…Big Sur is a mature OS and works fine with Intel Based Macs. Ventura, which is the current OS is meant for the M1 & M2 Macs. 

Bottom Line: Unless your OS is somehow corrupted, preventing you from using your computer, I’d stay where you are. I also WOULD NOT UPGRADE PHOTOSHOP to the latest versions. You will hate life if you do. 

Start saving. 

Remember, Apple wants you to “Go Big or Go Home.” Take a look at the pinned Article at the top for a “Mac that’s good for Photo Editing,” your budget needs to be around $4600. Unless you can fine a used 2020 27” iMac with a decent Video Card, but even then that Mac Model’s days are limited. I have a fancy tricked out 2017 27” iMac, and it’s starting to run a bit sluggish with the modern versions of PS. Even with 64GB of RAM I plan on replacing my computer in 2024 or 2025. 

To top things off, Adobe is starting to add all sorts of fancy AI Tools and that will increase the System requirements in future computers. 

Oh, thank you for your reply.  I really do appreciate it.  I did read your pinned article before I sent my question but I will reread and I will start saving.  I will make sure not to upgrade PS...

I really do appreciate your reply and knowledge.  

Thank you again,

Kelly

• Thanks 1

Hi Brian,

I don't think I can take my Mac running slow m. ch longer. It seems to be getting worse...crashing multiple times.  I have added this to my cart per our previous conversation.  Could you please make sure this would be sufficient.  The numbers don't match yours exactly (gpu or cpu). I don't even know that those mean.  I just know I am in my busy season and I can't keep having this happen.  Thank you for any input you might have. Kelly

Screen Shot 2023-08-12 at 9.53.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-12 at 9.53.45 AM.png

slow much longer...

I have that in the cart...I just didn't screen shot it.  Whew...this is no small chunk of change.  I hope I get some good years out of it! Thank you again.  

• Like 1

I am sorry to bother you.  Do you think I should try to sell my IMac outright or turn do it as a trade in with Apple?  My neighbor might be interested in purchasing but I have zero idea how to price something like this.  Or if you could point me in the direction of how to find out.  My guess is Apple would give very little.  Thank you. 

Also, are you in Australia? 

You will need to create a bootable Thumb Drive with the Big Sur OS. Then boot into diagnostic mode and format the HD and install a fresh copy of the Big Sur OS. 

Before you do any of that, make sure your Mac in not registered with any Apple ID or “Find my Mac” stuff. 

Oh, de-register the Mac from iTunes as well. 

I haven’t gotten around to writing that lengthy How-To Article (need a Mac to Sacrifice) but Apple should have instructions. I’d give them a call. It’s not hard, just need to follow the steps. 

Thank you.  I will contact Apple to help me figure all of this out.  

Do you know where I would look to find out how much my computer would be worth/how if I were to sell to my neighbor?  

You have a 21.5" iMac, they aren't worth much as you can't upgrade things like RAM yourself. It also has slower components in it, deliberately done by Apple, so honestly? I'd say $500-$600 at most for it. If you had a 27" model with more RAM, that would be a different story.

My new computer arrived...and I have a really dumb question.  Should I save all of my photoshop actions on an external hard drive or will the show up in PS since I have the CC version?  

I have a session set up with Apple for set up etc...

I just don't want to lose my current ACR and PS set up...

Thank you again for all of your help with this...I really do appreciate it.  

On 8/31/2023 at 7:42 AM, Kelly C said:

Should I save all of my photoshop actions on an external hard drive or will the show up in PS since I have the CC version?  

No. You will need to save them to a Thumbdrive or EHD. The CC version just gives you current features and breaks up your payments to $10 a month, instead of forking out $700+ for PS. You will need to setup PS and ACR again. Give this a read: Setting Up Photoshop.