File Explorer right-click shut down

I have Windows 10 Home running an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz   2.40 GHz and its up-to-date.  I have a problem in File Explorer, when I right-click on a file it shuts down.  I can not access the panel to print/delete/rename using the shortcut.  The commands work within the manager, but the right click is problematic.  Have you come across this issue before? 

• Sad 1

This is serious. When this is happens, it usually means that Windows itself is severely fucked up, to put things bluntly. Before we dive in, what video card / video card drivers are you using? I've heard of corrupted NVIDIA Drivers causing this, but I'm not 100% if this is true or not.

Have you tried creating a new Windows Profile and see if the problem remains?

Are you running any AntiVirus or Security Software? If so, which one?

The first thing I want you to try is this:

1. Click the Start Button. Just type the letters CMD. You don't have to hit enter, just CMD.
  2. Look towards the right and you should see "Run as Administrator." Select that. We want to run the Command Box with Elevated (Administrator) Privileges.
  3. In the command box, type: sfc /scannow then press the Enter Button. The Windows System File Check should start and hopefully it will find the corruption and fix things.

Report back with the results. If the problem remains, (likely,) then I have a few more commands for you to try.

I figured it couldnt be good.  I did ask someone local if it could be a virus but he said they have come a long way and dont make it that obvious anymore!

I show its using Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M for display adapters.  Hopefully that is the info you're looking for since it was a chore to find!

I have used 209GB with 721GB Free space left.

I use the free version of Avast and the Windows Security that comes with the Asus laptop.

I have not created a new Windows profile to test the error.  I would need to research how to do that.

After the command it stated it "Found corrupt files and fixed them", but a quick test showed the same issue, even after a Restart the issue persists.

Interesting how I can plug my phone in, go into the PC Drive and right-click copy a picture to the computer, but I can not go into File Explorer - Pictures and do the same. 

7 hours ago, mrlang30 said:

I did ask someone local if it could be a virus but he said they have come a long way and dont make it that obvious anymore!

Yeah, the whole Anti-Virus Software thing is from the 1990's. People don't get viruses anymore. In fact, Avast! could be doing more harm than good. I'd actually un-install it if it were me. Honestly? Windows Defender & Firewall that is built into the OS does a pretty good job for what it is. The only caveat is you need to run Windows Updates every so often to make sure that Windows Defender is updated regularly.

show its using Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M for display adapters. 

Yeah, you have a laptop that has two video cards. Hopefully You are using your GeForce GTX950M these days because I'm sure Photoshop CC will be complaining about the Intel Graphics, if it hasn't already. We will address this issue later.

After the command it stated it "Found corrupt files and fixed them", but a quick test showed the same issue, even after a Restart the issue persists.

The Windows System File Checker never really fixes the "Big Problems," but it is a fairly quick way to see if there is OS Corruption or not. We will need to proceed to the next step.

You are going to need to open a CMD (Command Box) with clicking "Run as Administrator" to get elevated privileges, just like you did before.

Type the following commands in order and press enter after each one. You should be able to copy and paste them via the Keyboard if needed:

1. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

2. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

3. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Quick note: While the command is running is normal to see the process stuck at 20 or 40 percent, after a few minutes, the process will complete successfully.

Report back when finished. Hopefully this will fix some things. Otherwise, we are looking at reloading Windows and such and you may have to take your computer into a local repair shop. There is only so much I can do over a Forum on the Internet.

Sidenote: Photoshop CC isn't going to like your laptop for much longer. (your video cards are quite old technology-wise.) I'd actually start saving for one now.

I uninstalled Avast.  Windows automatically checks for updates daily.

Luckily this particular issue is on my "work laptop" BUT I have the same exact laptop for my editing.  I'll be interested in how to ensure Im using the proper graphics card since PS does give me glitches every so often, especially if its been running for a while, my mouse gets laggy.  (Hobbiest - average 5 sessions/year: I use PSE9 & PSE 2020)

I have attached the report after typing in commands.  I dont think it ran as expected.

dism.JPG

That’s because there are no spaces in the command, ‘ya Wally! DISM (hit the space bar) /Online (hit the space bar) /Cleanup-Image (hit the space bar) /CheckHealth

Open a CMD Window with “Run as Administrator”

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Check-Health

hit enter. 

Now since this is your work laptop, why are you messing with it? Call the Helpdesk and have them send you another one with a fresh image. 

Oh goodness, its all in the details isnt it!!!  After completion it did not repair.

I work for a very small local company, its only me in the office, sadly I am the Helpdesk & IT dept.  I figured you were my best shot before reloading Windows and/or the repair shop.  PLUS if it ever happens to the sister laptop I edit on I'd have the info to try fixing it!

dism2.JPG

Yeah, your Windows is really botched up. The DISM commands, while valuable...they aren't 100% fool-proof. Sometimes Windows is just corrupted.

Quick question...

Does this laptop have a Spinning Hard Drive or is it a SSD model? If it's a spinning / traditional HD, it might have bad sectors. The reason I mention this, is if you do have to Nuke the drive and reload everything, it may be worth seeing if there is some sort of Recovery Tool Maker that you could restore the OS on a new drive. (Usually a Thumb-Drive,) and replace the Traditional / Spinning HD and replace it with a Sandisk 1TB 870 SSD Drive.

Wow!! Those suckers are going for $60 now!! Not only will you get a Drive that is WAY faster than a spinning HD, you will get the benefit of lower power consumption and heat, which helps with battery life. Plus, if you just remove the existing HD, and use a HD to USB Adapter, you might be able to copy over your existing Data Files and such from the old drive.

In a nutshell, if you are going to Nuke it and start over, I'd go the Full Monty and get everything done in one shot.