Choosing a new computer...thoughts on this build?

I need to get a new computer! I've reviewed all your guides and found them really helpful. I'm going with PC this time. I've been considering trying to build my own but I'm not sure I'm up to that task. I found this one and thought it looked really good for the price. At that price, I could immediately upgrade to 32gb ram. However...it has an nvidia 3060 card. I've seen you elsewhere suggest to skip this card. What are your thoughts?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lenovo-ideacentre-gaming-5i-desktop-pc-intel-core-i7-12700-1tb-hdd-512gb-ssd-16gb-ram-rtx-3060-eng-only-at-best-buy/16496746

NO to a NVIDIA 3060 card. You want at least a NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti or even a 3080 version. Also, you will want the NVIDIA Studio Drivers and not the gaming / default drivers. 3060 just will give you problems and complaints from Photoshop. 

Actually, I’d skip that whole computer. I know $999 seems expensive, but the $999 Special at a Big Box Store that was “Good Enough” was 20+ years ago. $999 PC today was yesterday’s 499 / 599 model.

I’m not digging anything in that computer. The CPU is underpowered, (yes, even though it’s an i7…it’s not a powerful i7.) the 3060 isn’t worth it, don’t like the 500GB SSD (you want a 1TB as the main / boot drive, not 500GB.) plus the 16GB of RAM. Honestly? Keep saving and increase you budget. Stay away from the $1000 computers. It’s 2023/2024, expect to pay at least $2500 for the PC alone. 

Remember, Photoshop CC is getting more demanding and bloated. While this computer may run the current versions “fine,” I’d hate for you to be back in the market or regretting your purchase 18 months from now. 

Before you ask, you want the following at a Minimum

Intel Core i7-13700K

32GB RAM (YOU REALLY-REALLY WANT 64GB)

1 TB Main SSD HD or m.2 1TB Drive. (No 500GB Drives. I do not care about the other HDs in the computer, the manufacturer is being cheap and just trying to sell you something.)

At least a NVIDIA RTX3070 TI or 3080 with at least 8GB of dedicated Video Memory. Use the Studio Drivers for Photoshop / Lightroom, not the gaming drivers  

i’d recommend around a 850 Watt Power Supply. No less than 650 Watts  

This is really helpful! Thanks! I've been continuing to do more research and I'm going to try building my own after all. Good to know about the 850W power supply, I was looking at 650 but was wondering if it would be enough.

I'll save myself the future hassle and get 2x 32GB RAM up front, haha. Still recommend the 24" dell ultrasharp monitor?

Yep. The Dell Ultrasharps hold up pretty well. I'd use a DisplayPort Cable as my 1st choice over HDMI. I typically recommend a Dell U2722D UltraSharp 27" IPS Screen.

Take a look at the specs, this monitor checks all the boxes. If you'd like, buy the Display 1st and use it with your current computer if you can.

• Resolution: 2560 x 1440 (Check!)
    • DO NOT BUY any screen that has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 for 27" or larger display. 24" or smaller, 1920x1080 is fine, but if you want a 27" or larger screen, don't get suckered into a 1920x1080 panel; you want 2560 x 1440 for a 27". You are editing photos and using this with a computer, this isn't a Television.

• In-Plane Switching (IPS) Display Panel (Check!)

• 100% sRGB (Anything 95% or better is fine, so Check!)

• Anti-Glare / Matte (Check!)

• Multiple Display Port Type for connectivity (Check!)

ScreenShot2023-08-23at9_26_28PM.thumb.png.ef638fe6b1708b4354d4d549275fe0df.png

Thanks Brian!! Helpful info about the resolution. I was considering 24" for budget purposes, but I'm currently on an ancient imac so I'm used to 27". I'll add that monitor to the parts list :) 

• Like 1

“Meh.” Either. 

The choice of Video Card is way more important, along with a Modern i7 or even i9 CPU. 

Now, for gaming, DDR5 is the “new tech” so it will be better to purchase a system with DDR5 if you aren’t planning on buying a new computer for a few years, etc. That said, for Photoshop, doesn’t matter in a real-world sense…and it goes back to the choice of Video Card. I’m sure some Measure-bator Techno-Weenie will have charts and graphs and lab results indicating one over the other, and that’s fine. In my humble  opinion, Photoshop isn’t programmed to take advantage of DDR5, and I would be more concerned about the amount of physical RAM vs. the speed of it.

For the amount, 32GB is the bare-minimum, but you really-really-really want 64GB+ heading into 2024. The more MP your camera, the more RAM you want. My next computer will most likely have at least 96GB-128GB of RAM. But I do large Panoramic Photos with my Nikon D850, so your mileage may vary. 

• Like 1