White balance D750?

Tahli

Hi, sorry for trying to ask on the fb group. I will try here but understand if you are not able to provide any insight.
In a previous post (on the fb group) I noticed that you spoke about your D850. I recently had my Nikon D610 break on me (I was very familiar with this camera), I took the opportunity to upgrade a bit to a D750. I usually shoot using Kelvin white balance but I am finding the white balance in the D750 so different even on kelvin or auto2 (which I’d ready was pretty good and a warmer tone). I wondered if you’d had any experience with this or suggestions. I really liked the tone and white balance in my older Nikon. Thanks 🙏

Quick example below (I edited, only on faces to hide faces) . My Macbook Pro has recently a few weeks ago calibrated with a Spider.

Nikon-white-balance.jpg

Edited by Tahli

Different sensors will have different White Balances, it's the nature of the beast. I was on Auto2 AWB for a while, both with my D4s, and D850. Both cameras produced different results and I eventually switched over to AWB1. AWB2 does have warmer tones, but I felt that it messed with my colors too much.

I also played around with setting my camera to a custom White Balance, WAY more than doing a Custom WB Card and setting the Kelvin Number, there is a feature, that probably isn't on a D750, that you can really fine-tune the WB with a Semi-Permanent setting, but I wouldn't recommend it. I could get it close with my flash and indoor lighting, but as soon as I went outside, that Semi-Permanent Setting Number went out the window. So I went back to AWB1 and learned my camera. 

I will say this, I have found that Nikon Cameras tend to be 50K to 100K off, or 50K to 100k lower, so I recommend shooting in AWB1, only shoot in Raw, and when in ACR or LR, add 50K or 100K to whatever number the camera chooses, and that will get you a decent starting point. (But you still are going to have to tweak the White Balance, and this topic is covered in the Raw Class.) For example, say your camera choose 5150K for a AWB Number, change that to 5200K - 5250K and see if it works better for you. Also, the Adobe Color Profiles is something you should be using. I have found that just using "Adobe Color" doesn't always work, sometimes Adobe Landscape or even Adobe Portrait is the way to go. Here is what I'm talking about:

ScreenShot2023-10-03at8_04_56PM.thumb.png.c6514cabf81b808993007f9ddef22cda.png

That's the thing with gear, no two camera bodies are the same, especially when it comes to different model numbers. Camera Sensors will produce different results, even with the same model, so you need to fiddle and pay attention. I will say this, I've played with a D750...and that camera just pisses me off. :D You don't even have a external ISO button! OR the ability to set another button for you to select ISO! Hell, my Nikon D40 from 12 years ago allowed my to do this, but Nikon wants you to buy a D850 if you want this feature. Nikon is taking cues from Apple, as are other manufacturers. Want that feature? You are gonna pay for it!

Hey, thanks for the input on this! I appreciate it. I am using the Adobe RGB colour setting in my camera. I have read that the D750 does let you do a custom white balance setting but yet to have a look at this. Also maybe I am interpreting this incorrectly but I can set my 'Rec' button to ISO, is this what you mean by external ISO button?

I am considering the jump to mirrorless in the future but this was a choice to get me by for a while when my D610 broke. Technology hasn't been in my favor of late (I was the lady with the corrupted HD).

I will have a look at the colour profiles and the K being about 50-100 lower. Thanks!!!! Much appreciated!!

21 hours ago, Tahli said:

but I can set my 'Rec' button to ISO, is this what you mean by external ISO button?

So THAT'S how you do it!! Son-of-a-b*tch!! I was trying with one of the other function buttons. Yeah, I'd recommend to set your REC Button to change your ISO for still photographs.

Now here are my thoughts about Mirrorless. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. Meaning, you really need Mirrorless Lenses to go with that Mirrorless Body. And if the new camera has lots of MP, like 45.7, you are likely going to be buying WAY more than just a camera.

Check out this thread to see what I mean.

Hi,

Haha, I'm so glad that I could pass some info back to you! Yes, I have heard of the MP and needing to upgrade computer etc. but I have heard the adapter is alright? No? Not about to do the jump yet, so good to gather all the info. I have 4 lenses and I'm not keen to upgrade lenses, maybe I'll stick with DSLR a bit longer then.

Cheers, T

The adapter is fine, you just won’t take full advantage of the technology of the modern Mirrorless camera offerings. Like 5-way Axis Stabilization and image quality. The Z lenses are meant to be on Z camera bodies. The FTZ Adapter is just a work-around for people to switch; it’s a much easier to swallow a $2500 pill instead of a $10,000+ for cameras and lenses. :) 

• Like 1