Thoughts on this HP laptop

Brian, what are your thoughts on this laptop.  My 13 year old ASUS finally died and currently running on a basic HP I5 but I have a dedicated desktop for editing.  Want to as a backup to editing and a little gaming.  Sale on this ends today, 12 Nov 2023.  I know there may be other deals coming up as Black Friday approaches. If this does not meet a particular spec please let me know. Thanks. 

IMG_2406.jpeg

IMG_2405.jpeg

Model # HP Victus - HP 16-r0073cl 

Some of the reviews don't like the screen but being anti-glare may be the reasons for gamers to dislike.  Also no SD Card slot but see that going away on a lot of laptops i have looked at.  Lastly the USB-C port does not allow charging,  not sure if good or bad, that would be new to me.   Would like to be able to get Display out with a USB-C docking adapter.  will reaseach that one.

Product details

Processor & Memory: 13th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-13700HX (16-Core) Processor 32GB DDR5 4800MHz RAM Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 11 Home Drives: 1TB PCIe M.2 NVMe Gen4 Solid State Drive No Optical Drive Graphics & Video: 16.1" Anti-Glare IPS Micro-Edge FHD (1920 x 1080) 144HZ Display NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4060, 8GB Communications: Wi-Fi 6E (2x2/160) Gig+ and Bluetooth® 5.3 Integrated FHD 1080p Webcam with Privacy Shutter Audio: Audio by B&O with Dual Speakers Keyboard: Backlit 1 Zone RGB Keyboard with Numeric Keypad Ports & Slots: 1x USB Type-C (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge) 1x USB Type-A (HP Sleep and Charge) 2x USB Type-A 1x HDMI 2.1 1x RJ-45 1x Headphone/Microphone Combination Jack Battery: 4-Cell 70Wh Li-ion Polymer Battery Additional Information: Dimensions: 14.53"L x 10.21"W x 0.90"~0.94"H Approximate Weight: 5.11 lbs

Seems to check all the boxes. That said, HP laptops just do not last. I would not spend a penny more than the $999 price-tag. I’d expect you be back in the Market in about 24-36 months. :/ 

But the specs are good. 

Thanks Brian.  I went ahead and bought it but not going to open it as the other Black Friday sales are still to come..  COSTCO has a 90 day return policy and unopen box.   Keeping eye on the Lenovo and ASUS equivalents.   One other limitation I found in this one is it only has one NVMe slot.   That is more of a deal breaker for me.  Got my eye out.

I have a Lenovo for work, and it's held up for YEARS of me carrying it around daily. HP Laptops were good 20 years ago. Now, they just suck. Their Trackpads are TERRIBLE and HP uses Eco-Friendly Solder, meaning no lead. That's great for the environment, but crappy for things like the power connector leads that attach to the motherboard. I've had nothing but problem-after-problem with HP Laptops with my customers. They last about 18-24 months under heavy use. If the cheap plastic case parts hold up that long. Personally, you want either a Lenovo or a Asus Republic of Gamers. One with a IPS Screen is mandatory for photo editing.

Good Luck on your hunt. I'm thinking your budget will need to increase slightly. $999 in today's world for anything good is tough to come by.

• Thanks 1

I'd purchase the Lenovo. It mentions a IPS screen. Believe me, manufactures WILL point that out 99% of the time, since it's a "upgrade" over a TN Panel. If it's not mentioned, I'm going to assume it has a TN Display Panel and not a IPS Screen, which is what you WANT for Photo Editing.

• Like 1

Just got off a chat with Lenovo Support after seeing that all the offerings only show memory upgrading to a ax of 32GB.  They said that is correct.  I don't see the Legion 5 Pro on Amazon being offer with 64GB but they are coming from after market companies.  Checked MicroCenter, BestBuy, B&H, etc and they all max out at 32GB.   Any idea why 32GB is max?   At todays standards I would need to buy another one next year.  Also NVMe SSD max up to 1TB.  

This is very disheartening to find out.  Was about to order this one today:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1745682-REG/lenovo_82wk0083us_16_legion_pro_5i.html

Wonder if it is the Chipset they are using:

Chipset
Chipset
Intel HM770 chipset

All Lenovo offerings: https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Legion/Legion_Pro_5_16IRX8

Memory
Max Memory[1]
  • Up to 32GB DDR5-4800 offering
  • Up to 32GB DDR5-5600 offering
Memory Slots
Two DDR5 SO-DIMM slots, dual-channel capable
Memory Type**
  • DDR5-4800[2]
  • DDR5-5600

Notes:
  • 1. The max memory is based on the test results with current Lenovo memory offerings.
  • 2. Installed memory is actually 5600MHz but may run at 4800MHz due to processor limitation.
Storage
Storage Support[1]
Up to two drives, 2x M.2 SSD • M.2 2280 SSD up to 1TB
Storage Slot
Two M.2 2280 PCIe® 4.0 x4 slots

1 hour ago, Sirluke99 said:

Any idea why 32GB is max?   

Planned obsolescence, silly end-user! I'm going to agree with you, it's either probably the Chipset they are using, or a BIOS limitation that is done on-purpose. They want you in the market sooner, rather than later. They want you replacing your laptop every 12-18 months. They could easily add access panels and give people options for upgrades, but today's laptops are taking a cue from Apple and are basically sealed units. I'm surprised that there are actual slots, as the RAM could have just been soldered to the Motherboard.

Ordered from B&H.. Best price all around for I9 and RTX 4070.   Others have said the used 64GB and no issues.  Will watch the prices of DDR5 @2x32GB and deal with it as pries fall or needs come up.

Thanks for you words of wisdom.  

64GB is FINE. Even heading into 2024. It's really the choice of video card that makes the most difference with Today's Modern Photoshop. The only time I could think of needing more than 64GB, is if you plan on doing HUGE Panoramas, taken with a high MP Camera. Like combining 40+ Photos that are 100mb each at full resolution. Then more RAM and a fast video card is ideal. But for the average Photo Editor? 64GB is the Sweet Spot. 16GB is absolute bare-minimum, 32GB is what you want and 64GB is the "Sweet Spot," meaning it allows your computer to not hit the PS Scratch Disk as much, which results in better performance. 

I tend to do large Panoramas with my D850, with uncompressed full resolution files. I think my next computer may have 96GB of RAM, just to have a little more "breathing room." Even then, 64GB would be plenty for the other 99% stuff that I do.

• Like 1