Asus vs Dell

KellyLW

Asus Rog Strix Scar G533 Gaming laptop vs Dell XPS 15 9530 Business laptop. Is it better to have the Nvidia 3080, 8gb and 3.30 Ghz and 32GB/1Tb and Ryzen 9 in Asus.  OR. The 64gb/2Tb and i9 and 3050/4Gb in the Dell?

Edited by KellyLW

Between the two, the Asus ROG is the better option for use with Photoshop. Going forward, it is imperative that you have a high-end video card, such as a NVIDIA 3070 or 3080 and above! In fact, the choice of Video Card is more important than CPU at this point. I know, I know...it's hard to get away from they last 30-40 years of thinking of "I'll get this one because it has a better CPU and more RAM..." Today's Modern Photoshop is relying more and more on the VIDEO CARD, not only for a performance boost, but for some Modules like ACR and Liquify to physically work. It's only going to get worse as time goes on.

Now...8GB. Is that the RAM? Because if it is, that is in no-way-shape-or-form enough for Photoshop. 16GB isn't even "enough." You want at least 32GB RAM headed into 2024 and preferably 64GB. Also, since we are talking about laptops, you want to make sure you are buying one that has a IPS-Based Display Panel. Most gaming laptops have the typical TN Display...which aren't meant for Photo Editing. IPS Screens provide a better viewing angle, and consistent colors, contrast, sharpness, etc. from corner-to corner. So if the laptop doesn't mention anything about it being IPS, SKIP IT!

That said, finding a IPS screen in a Laptop, that will run Photoshop well, is difficult to find. Not impossible, you just really need to pay attention to ALL of the Specs.

Edit: Never mind. I see the 32GB in the Asus Model. It's still the better choice, only thing we need to check is that IPS Display Panel.

The 8Gb is the video RAM. The laptop has 32GB. Thanks for the info about the IPS display. I will need to do some research on that. Also so appreciate how quickly you answered my question!! 

• Like 1