Building your own computer.

I currently edit on a Aero Gigabyte laptop. It’s been nothing but problems. And the touch pad is going out on it. I think it’s time to just build my own. Looking for recommendations on hardware that would be able to run photoshop and editing with no issues. Looking around $2000 hopefully to start. 

Are you looking for a Desktop going forward or a Laptop?

It boils down to this for a Desktop:

• Latest version of the Intel i7 or i9 CPU
  • 32GB RAM / 64GB Preferred
  • 1 TB Main HD
  • NVIDIA RTX 4070 or RTX 4080 with at least 8GB of Dedicated Video RAM. (more is always better.) Also you could use a AMD equivalent if you prefer. 
  • Power Supply to support everything, I usually recommend 850 Watts at this point going forward. But I have seen people use 650 Watts or 750 Watts too, it really depends on your motherboard and how far you want to push things.
  • I also recommend a APC UPS 1500VA Sine Wave UPS Battery Backup • BR1500MS2
  • IPS (In-Plane Switching) Display with at least 95% or better sRGB Coverage.

Every time I try building something, I always end up at the $3000 mark, just for the computer. I have expensive tastes.

I am looking at switching to a desktop. As much as I love the flexibility of the laptop and taking work with me. I just don't seem to have much luck with them lasting more than a year. Thanks. I will use these specs as a starting point.

I usually recommend the Dell XPS Series as a starting point. For example:

Dell XPS Desktop

That one basically checks all the boxes and gives you a really good starting point. The budget for a "Computer that's good for Photo Editing" will run you about $2500-ish. Here is a decent Monitor to go with it: Dell UltraSharp U2722DE 27" LCD Monitor. You will also have to budget for a Calibrator as well if you don't already have one or if it's about 5+ years old technology-wise, it's time for an upgrade.

1 hour ago, Jmgrimm said:

just don't seem to have much luck with them lasting more than a year.

That's done on purpose. Unless you fork out the money to get a high-end laptop, you are replacing them every 18-24 months, at most. Even then you are on a 36 - 48 Month Lifespan. Yes...there are always exceptions, but laptops today are built cheap-cheap-cheap, all are "Made in China." They want you in the market sooner rather than later. Hell, if they could get you to buy one every year, even better.