I opened a folder today and was getting ready to start editing in BridgeACR.  All of the files in my folder were/are converted to JPG not xmp files or CR2 files.  I spent about 2 hours online with Adobe...I also opened another folder from months ago, same thing.  I do all of my editing on ACR and touchups in PS. Please help

I can not find any of my raw files.  I import my files from Bridge and save to an import folder. I create two other folders for JPG and PSD after I have edited or need to do more. My entire download folder/photos was changed to JPG.  I have no idea how.  I shut my computer down a few days ago, began working yesterday and noted the change.  This also happened in another folder of downloads that I wasn't even working on.  I had a back up card in my camera of the photos, inserted into card slot, attempted download and again, all JPG.  Adobe help found a setting on PS that was checked to download JPG, he virtual guy changed that.  I have no idea how that was even changed as I never download photos as jpg.  Any help would be great. I figured out how to work around a particular edit but can't have this happen as I am entering a busy season.  You and Brian are the only ones who seem to have a clue...Adobe should endorse you.  Anyhow, any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.