Help with new desktop pc

Hi Brian,  I read your advice and think this desktop would be good for me. I do not have a business. Photography is only a hobby for me. I mostly photograph wildlife and family. But the time has come to upgrade before windows 10 is no longer supported. Your input is appreciated.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/new-xps-desktop/spd/xps-8960-desktop/usexpsthcto8960rpl27?configurationid=2287f406-1842-46e9-ad28-fa7fd7d73bee

I have a ViewSonic IPS monitor that is at least 10 yrs old. Should I consider upgrading that too? 

I know my calibration device will need upgraded. Currently using color munki. I'll get to that a little later.

Thanks

Michele

On 6/2/2024 at 6:37 PM, Michele1262 said:

I have a ViewSonic IPS monitor that is at least 10 yrs old. Should I consider upgrading that too? 

If it still works, keep using it. I'd take the money that you'd spend on a new display and put that towards a new calibrator.

The Dell XPS Computer that you linked to is fine.
ScreenShot2024-06-03at8_41_11PM.thumb.png.6fdfd40708fc23befd081f7767817b2c.png

Now, what camera are you shooting with? The reason I ask is the more MegaPixels you have, the larger the RAM, and bigger the storage capacity you will need. If you have a 45MP Camera or more, plan on upgrading to at least 64GB of RAM sooner, rather than later.

Thanks for your input. I did upgrade the RAM to 64gb. I plan on upgrading camera in near future to a Z8 and I know those files are large. Reading thru the forum and seeing so many post about  problems with the new photoshop upgrades makes me want to just stick with CS6 and windows 10.  UGH!

Thanks again

I ordered my desktop. Upgraded to 64GB RAM and added the 3yr protection plan. That along with my 5% military discount my total came to $2300. And I will have enough dell points to get a cd/dvd external for free. I did check out HP to compare and they did not even come close. I hope the dell last me a good 10 yrs like my current hp has. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 6:52 PM, Michele1262 said:

I plan on upgrading camera in near future to a Z8

Yeah, it's a good thing that you got 64GB of RAM. I shoot with a D850 and my computer wasn't happy until I upgraded to 64GB.