Please help me in removing background shadows

Aitchess

I’ve got a dozen or so photos like this with the shadows and or wrinkles/bunches of fabric. I tried to fix up the background several ways but was requested to further reduce or eliminate the shadows. This is out of my comfort zone and usual shooting. It was a total last minute set up indoor shoot due to rain and I learned plenty of what not to do! However I need help finishing these up because I’ve stared at them for so long my brain doesn’t want to work anymore. So far I’ve awfully replaced the background where the subjects appeared to float, started over and eventually I went through several of your tutorials to fill the layer, blur it and add noise. Is there a better way that will help me to get rid of the shadows? Thanks for any help!

Edited by Aitchess

Just now, Damien Symonds said:

How bizarre.

How are you saving the jpeg?  I mean, are you using "Save As", or "Save for web", or "Export" or whatever?

I tried export and save as, also tried exporting from bridge and sending to my phone to post from there. None of that worked, the last photo is the same one that gives the -200 error code using the safari browser. Switching to Chrome I can see the photo now.

when I use the mixer brush tool it is mixing the subject colors with the background, I'm having a total brain fart after being at the computer too long. How can I avoid this and just get the background shadows to lighten? Here is another example of what I am looking to fix.

HS1_0054_SueMike.jpg

I have used the gradient method before but, I have no clue what I'm doing wrong now. I cannot get the gradient colors to change to grey background when I use the sample tool. I'm so sorry I am struggling with what should be simple. I am tired from trying to figure out how to fix these on my own. 😭