Anti-virus?

Sam165

Hi Brian.  I have a PC laptop that I sometimes use for photos but also for other things and I am wondering if you have a recommendation for anti-virus, firewall for it.  Also, I want to do on-line banking, so I need it to be secure.  I am running Windows 11.  Thanks for your help.

Actually, Windows Defender works really well for what it does and that comes built-in with Windows. You just have to run Windows Updates on a normal basis to make sure that it's up-to-date. As far as a Anti-Virus, I recommend WEBROOT...but I will warn you, WEBROOT is a little "Hyper" and often gets in your way. LOL!!

Now, people don't get "Viruses" any more. It's keyloggers, Ransomware, Trojans, and ways to get your banking and CC Info...the Scum who do such things just want your money. It's not so much about "Bragging Rights" infecting the Planet's computers as it is of who can make the most money in the 21st Century. It's all about the money; get-the-money-get-the-money-get-the-money!!!! In fact, A LOT of Viruses that Anti-Virus Programs "cured" were created by the Anti Virus Companies themselves!! (I'm looking at you, Peter Norton.) Invent a problem and sell a cure... :D

Online Banking is actually pretty decent, and I'd recommend using a SmartPhone Banking App vs. a Browser, AND MAKE SURE YOUR BANKING APPS ARE UP-TO-DATE AT ALL TIMES. In reality, the biggest risk is the person sitting behind the keyboard; the ones who download things or quite frankly, do stupid things. (Like believing the Pop-Ups stating that you have some sort of virus or whatever, and then calling the number or clicking the link. THAT'S how you get into trouble.)

VPN Companies are trying to sell you their wares, and they use fear tactics trying to convince you that there is always something lurking. While it's true to a degree, you need to take things with a Grain-of-Salt. If you are into downloading Torrents and other illegal things, you are going to catch something with a greater probability. If you answer those stupid Facebook Quiz's that determine "What Color is your Belly Button's Lint" or "What Kind of Potato are you?," you are going to get hacked sooner or later. It's the, "What was your first car?" "How far away do you live from your childhood home?" "Who was your favorite Teacher?" If you answer ANY of those things, even in a "safe" environment, may not be as secure as one would think. Often, there are "Bots" (Automated Computer Software) that posts those things, with a "Spoofed" account and you have no idea who is behind that account.

Personally, I haven't run a Anti-Virus program in years. I also watch YouTube Videos of people going after Scammers, just to see HOW the Scum does things. Granted, it's a bit sensationalized to make things entertaining, but there is a lot of nuggets of wisdom in those videos. Here are some that I usually watch on a semi-normal basis:

There are others, but those should get you started if you are interested. Pay attention to the scammers and what they say, and the screens that pop-up. The more informed you are, the less likely you are going to suffer from things.

Soon. Apple is planning on releasing an updated Mac Mini with a M4 chip, and a few Mac Book Pro M4 updates. I'm thinking the Mac Studio M4 will be in early 2025. Hopefully by the beginning of November I will have a better roadmap.