New PC- new XPS tower?

Looking at two different pcs..... 

this one is a closeout but looks like a great deal.... 32gb Ram, 2TB HDD, i7
http://www.adorama.com/dex895631blk.html#source=productOptions

then theres the newer XPS that just came out. the main difference is the graphic card (I think that's the main difference) GTX 745 vs GTX 960. Not sure if it makes a difference or not. 
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-8910-desktop/fdcwvmax113b?oc=fdcwvmax113b&model_id=xps-8910-desktop&selectionState=eyJGUHJpY2UiOjEzNDkuOTksIk9DIjoiZmRjd3ZtYXgxMTNiIiwiUXR5IjoxLCJNb2RzIjpbeyJJZCI6MTEsIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiMTBQNjRFIiwiUHJpY2UiOjE3MC4wfV19LHsiSWQiOjU3MiwiT3B0cyI6W3siSWQiOiJGRzAwMDQifV19XX0%3D

budget is $1500 so, if there is another option that you suggest, let me know! Thanks! 

Edited by Lturner

DO NOT get the Dell with the 32GB SSD drive. (The one on Adorama.) I know SSD Drives are fast and it has a 2TB HD, but 32GB is ridiculously small by today's standards. That drive will be for the OS only and you'll need to do custom installs on every piece of software that you install. Nothing can go on that SSD drive except Windows and I'm even concerned about Windows updates having enough room. 

I'd get the Dell for $1349 that you linked to on Dell's website. 

Oh, just in case if anyone is wondering, I recommend a 500GB SSD drive at a MINIMUM, preferably a 1TB SSD drive for the OS and programs, with a 4TB 7200 RPM traditional HD for files and scratch disks / cache files.  

That Dell XPS 8910 for $1149.99 that you linked to will work fine. I wasn't aware of the U2717D, I was going by my old recommendation of the U2412m and the U2417H seems to be the latest version of that display. For dual displays, that U2717D seems to be a better bet. I like the "Infinity Edge" feature. Thanks for bringing it to my attention as the main problem with recommending stuff, is having that item be current; often when I link to things, there are 5 other replacements...stuff just doesn't last like it used to and it seems to replaced every 6 weeks.

I'm really still on the fence. I could go with a single 27" display, but I like the idea of two 24" displays. I may just stick with getting a new iMac. Who knows?

Either way I will be getting a new computer in 2018. I plan on building a Windows Domain Server and getting a few small desktops with Windows Pro, just to play and fiddle with stuff, like Group Policies. That's the driving reason for multiple displays, to have multiple remote desktop windows open.

would upgrading to a  NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory from a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 750Ti with 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory be worth $200?  

Ive been shopping  for new pc for some time now. My current one crashed and everything was erased. Once I reinstalled everything, I realized that it was working better and so I stuck with it. As luck would have it,  Dell just sent me a 15% off coupon so, I guess I will be upgrading after all. 15% off is a good deal!

Edited by Lturner

It certainly couldn't hurt; that said, it isn't THAT necessary. If you played a lot of video games and edited video, had dual or triple displays, then yes...I'd get the 8GB card. As far as Photoshop is concerned, they are using the Video Memory as a performance boost, so in reality, it's not a bad idea. You'll see this performance boost when using things like the Liquify Tool, or even producing large panorama photos.

The biggest issue is how Adobe's software plays with the video drivers of the card. Often we get the dreaded "Black Boxes" and end-up turning off the part of PS that uses video memory for performance. So if the video drivers don't play well with Adobe, and we turn off that portion of PS that accesses video memory, then it doesn't matter if you have a fancy 8GB card or not.

If the 15% off helps off-set the normal cost of the 8GB Video Upgrade option, then personally...I'd still get it. Especially if you are thinking about dual displays in the future. If it was me and my money, I'd probably get the 8GB card now and be done with it. I'm also going to get dual displays for my next Windows computer.

PS: For those reading this thread are wondering what to buy as of now for video card memory:

• 2GB at a Minimum
  • 4GB is Recommended
  • 8GB is Overkill but is more future-proof

PSS: For those who are freaking out at only having 1GB of video memory, you are probably fine. If things are working for you currently, you are fine at 1GB and carry on with your business. My recommendation is for new computers being sold right now and is geared towards a 5-7 year lifespan, as the majority of my recommendations are based on this time period. That's why I don't really recommend the cheaper options. 

Loving my new PC. Thanks for your recommendation!

Now, looking to update my non HDMI compatible monitor. This one only has one plug (plus one HDMI spot) and I like dual monitors. So....which one?

Infinity Edge: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-ahgv

OR ... this one? http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-monitor-se2717h/apd/210-aizr/monitors-monitor-accessories

I mean, I'd like to spend only $200 but if the other one is better i'll take it instead. 

thanks!

8 hours ago, Lturner said:

So....which one?

Dell UltraSharp 27 InfinityEdge Monitor: U2717D

Between those two. Reason? Better resolution.

For a 27" monitor, it's better to have 2560 x 1440 resolution. It gives a 27" display decent "real estate," without the 4K effect of making everything so tiny on the display. I realize that there is a few hundred difference, but I'm all for "Buy it Right - Buy It Once" philosophy.