safe to update

Hilary

I'm so nervous to update my iMac. I've heard stories of updates not playing nicely with Photoshop and my computer is pretty old too, so I am worried it will run slower with a new OS. Right now it handles Photoshop CC and Final Cut Pro pretty well (though I do have the weird black boxes showing up in PS sometimes).

I have a mid-2011 27" iMac with 12GB of ram. I have 10.10.5 installed on it right now, and I try to keep it clean with CleanMyMac. Should I try updating to Sierra? Aside from making sure Time Machine is up to date, anything else I should do beforehand?

Since you are using PS CC, and are on Yosemite, you could update to Sierra. 

But ask yourself, "why?" since things are running well for the most part. Are you upgrading to upgrade because you think you are missing out? Or is there a feature that you are wanting that's only available on the new OS? 

It looks like I would need 10.11.4 for Final Cut, so I'll have to do it eventually. Right now I use Photoshop more though, so my concern was updating and having it not work well with Photoshop. But I am glad to hear that PS CC means I should be pretty safe!

PS CC (and its various incarnations) will have the best chance of updates happening. CS6 users (and CS5, CS4, etc) are SOL. Adobe has abandoned support for those programs. Well, at least as far as updates go. CS6 might still have some sort of phone support, though its days are numbered at this point.

I would definitely upgrade to the latest version of Yosemite, that's the safest bet. Mac OS Sierra looks interesting, but you really need a new Mac to take full advantage of the new features. Also, there is no "Take-Backsies" when it comes to OS Sierra. Even if you have a Time Machine Backup. If something goes horribly wrong, you will need to reformat the internal HD and re-install Yosemite before using the Time Machine Backup to restore your HD!! Fun? Eh? Most people don't ever create a bootable OS Thumbdrive and think their TM backup is all they need. It is in a sense, but you need to be able to get to the TM backup first. ;)

Edit: Some of the newer Macs have a hidden partition that allow you to reformat the HD from a diagnostic partition. I'm not exactly sure when they started this. Since you have a 2011 Mac, I'm going to bank on a "No" for having this feature. I know my 2009 iMac doesn't have that recovery partition. It seems to be a new-mac thing. So if you do upgrade, it's still a one-way thing.

• Like 1

Oh wow, that is very good to know! Thanks!! I'll try and stay with Yosemite for awhile yet then, I think. How do I find the update to get the latest version it? I went to the app store but it just tells me I should get Sierra.

7 minutes ago, Hilary said:

I went to the app store but it just tells me I should get Sierra.

Apple is making things extremely difficult. I think they pulled the updates. The only way to "update" is to upgrade to Sierra. This is like Microsoft really pushing (and upgrading) Windows 7 computers to Windows 10.

So either wait or upgrade. It's a roll of the dice. What I would do is if you do anything professionally, get those sessions / project edited and completed first, THEN upgrade!! I've had members here in the past upgrade in the middle of sessions only to have a computer end-up on its back. Time is money. Happy Customers generate good word-of-mouth. Don't ever upgrade your OS when you have work to complete. SMDH!! LOL!! You upgrade when it's completely dead. Like January or Feb. in the northern hemisphere. Or you have a "Production" unit and a "Test Unit," which is two computers. You upgrade the "Test Unit," make sure things are hunky-dory THEN that unit becomes the "Production" unit. In which case, the current production unit gets retired or becomes the test unit. Unfortunately, most people don't have two identical computers to do this.