Combining images for print

Hello there,

I am trying to work out the best way to go about combining two images, and then preparing for print at various sizes.

I have prepared a template which I have sized to A0 which has a clipping mask so that there is a white border around the finished print. My questions are

The template I have set up in RGB however my images are SRGB, does this matter?

Do I need to upsize each file (by cropping to A0 dimensions at 300PPI) to A0 prior to placing into the A0 template?

Can I then crop the finished A0 image to A1 A2 etc for different size printing? ( I want each size to look exactly the same, so if I did 3 different templates then it would be hard to get the layout exactly the same I imagine?)

Sometimes the image will be a photo of a piece of painted art, will this make any difference?

Is this the right way to go about doing this?

summerlovinexample.thumb.jpg.c64e87d578931a94dab4803585e4761f.jpg

wild-and-free-example.jpg

Edited by rose-anne
I only wanted to post one photo

Hi rose-anne,

6 minutes ago, rose-anne said:

The template I have set up in RGB

All images are RGB.  Which flavour of RGB do you mean?  https://www.damiensymonds.net/2010/11/colour-modes-vs-colour-spaces.html

7 minutes ago, rose-anne said:

Do I need to upsize each file (by cropping to A0 dimensions at 300PPI) to A0 prior to placing into the A0 template?

No, there is no benefit to doing so.  It would only chew up your time.

9 minutes ago, rose-anne said:

Can I then crop the finished A0 image to A1 A2 etc for different size printing? ( I want each size to look exactly the same, so if I did 3 different templates then it would be hard to get the layout exactly the same I imagine?)

Cropping should not be necessary.  You would simply resize.

10 minutes ago, rose-anne said:

Sometimes the image will be a photo of a piece of painted art, will this make any difference?

No, I can't think of any reason why it would make any difference.

11 minutes ago, rose-anne said:

Is this the right way to go about doing this?

Your description all sounds right to me.  I'm curious what you meant, though, by "combining two images". Do you mean a photo, plus the text?

Will these prints be for commercial sale?  Are you printing them on your own printer, or through a lab?

Thank you for your quick reply.

Okay - my photoshop is set up as Srgb but when I went file open for the template I chose RGB color mode.

If I don't resize each image first, do I just transform it to the correct size. It is very tiny when I place in the A0 template. (my A0 template is 14043px x 9933px at 300ppi) so I was worried about the quality.

Dumb question - how do I resize without cropping? I have crop presets set up for A2, A1 etc at 300 ppi, is that what you mean?

Yes, one file is type and one is the image. Well, when I say type, it is an image of type that I then edit in photoshop, and sometimes fill with black or white depending on what look I want.

Yes images will be for sale, and printed through a lab. I will test at a lab but it won't always necessarily be a lab I have control over though - I am yet to work that out. (ie could be societ6 for example where you supply one file and they print at different sizes)

16 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

1 minute ago, rose-anne said:

Okay - my photoshop is set up as Srgb but when I went file open for the template I chose RGB color mode.

No, we're still talking about two different things.  I know about the mode, I need to know the space.  The profile.  https://www.damiensymonds.net/tut_mini.html

2 minutes ago, rose-anne said:

If I don't resize each image first, do I just transform it to the correct size. It is very tiny when I place in the A0 template. (my A0 template is 14043px x 9933px at 300ppi) so I was worried about the quality.

Well, what are the pixel dimensions of the images?  Your template is the correct size, but that's not the part I'm worried about.

5 minutes ago, rose-anne said:

Dumb question - how do I resize without cropping?

By using the Image Size feature, in the Image menu.

5 minutes ago, rose-anne said:

Yes, one file is type and one is the image. Well, when I say type, it is an image of type that I then edit in photoshop, and sometimes fill with black or white depending on what look I want.

Terrific.

Yes images will be for sale, and printed through a lab. I will test at a lab but it won't always necessarily be a lab I have control over though - I am yet to work that out. (ie could be societ6 for example where you supply one file and they print at different sizes)

Please, I beg you, do not go ahead with this until you know how to sharpen properly.  This will change your life: https://www.damiensymonds.net/trainingsharp.html

And now is the time to jump on board: https://www.facebook.com/damien.photoshop/photos/a.183682458346830.39021.183680248347051/1313016648746733/?type=3

The profile for the template is iMac_D65.icc(8bpc)

The profile for the images are sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (8bpc)

I have a text file that says Display P3 (8bpc) and then another says the same as the sRGB above. Not sure why they are different.

Is this what you are after?

Pixel dimension of image files are around 5100 x 3400 px. Text is sometimes smaller around 4000 x 3000 px

And yes, already thinking I will need to do the sharpening class, so all good, I will sign up for that. Will that work for the art prints I want to photograph?

The profile for the template is iMac_D65.icc(8bpc)

The profile for the images are sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (8bpc)

I have a text file that says Display P3 (8bpc) and then another says the same as the sRGB above. Not sure why they are different.

Is this what you are after?

Yes, it's what I'm after, and it's really really really really really REALLY bad.

The template MUST be sRGB, like the images.

The text files don't matter quite so much, but technically they should be sRGB as well.

Pixel dimension of image files are around 5100 x 3400 px. Text is sometimes smaller around 4000 x 3000 px

That's great.  No problems there.

3 minutes ago, rose-anne said:

And yes, already thinking I will need to do the sharpening class, so all good, I will sign up for that. Will that work for the art prints I want to photograph?

Yes, it sure will.

Okay, so not good then, lucky I checked. So how do I set up the template so the profile is different - I can't see any options there. Do I want sRGB, same as images?

So upsizing the images to fit the template dimensions - do I just transform?

Okay, so not good then, lucky I checked. So how do I set up the template so the profile is different - I can't see any options there.

There are a few aspects to this.  First, can you go to Color Settings (in the Photoshop menu, I think) and make sure they're on "North America General Purpose 2" the way they should be?  They must not be on "Custom" or any other setting.

8 minutes ago, rose-anne said:

So upsizing the images to fit the template dimensions - do I just transform?

Correct.

https://www.damiensymonds.net/2013/02/resizing-photos-in-templates-ps-pse.html

Terrific, that's great news.

So, when you hit Cmd N to create a new document, you should see an "Advanced" section at the bottom of that window?  When you expand that section, you should see where you can choose the colour space.

In my version, it looks like this:

new.thumb.png.70a99ed7fd6de725d87b1ddedf098938.png

Okay great thanks.  I worked out why my type files are Display P3. It is because I drag them from my email straight into Photoshop, but I can just convert the profile over, right?

So I would just like to double check is this workflow okay.

Set up template

Place in image and type files and transform size to match template.

Resize template to desired size. (Can I actually use the crop tool for this as I have preset sizes all set up? )

Okay great thanks.  I worked out why my type files are Display P3. It is because I drag them from my email straight into Photoshop, but I can just convert the profile over, right?

Right.

So I would just like to double check is this workflow okay.

Set up template

Place in image and type files and transform size to match template.

Resize template to desired size.

Sounds perfect.

Can I actually use the crop tool for this as I have preset sizes all set up? )

Yes.