I would like to take a picture of my child's footprints and hand prints and then print them their correct/actual size.  I'm not sure how to even start. I'm assuming my camera equipment & print settings both play a part. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Haha! Forgot to mention the prints are  paint and paper. I had not even thought about photographing his actual hands and feet. That's a project for later. But for now, I want to photograph his prints I did with paint and paper when he was smaller. I then want to print exact copies to use in an art project.

I thought about scanning them but for whatever reason I thought I would get better results with my camera than my ancient scanner. But I'm not enlarging them so I guess it wouldn't matter. So if I scanned them, how would I prepare them to be printed at a lab?

Haha! I just assumed you would know they're small 1yr old prints. I mean you can't make footprint art forever! Although my friends tease me that he will be 16 and I still will be painting his feet. So anyway I'm guessing around 4in for feet and even smaller for hands. I'm afraid of enlarging them so I just didn't think it could be as simple as ordering a 4x6.