MacBook Pro - Photoshop - Lightroom Issues!

jsiegel

I am a photographer, somewhat of a graphic designer, and mac girl to the core. Current systems are:

2012 iMac 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7 - 32GB RAM - 3TB SATA HD (I still have 2.48TB free) - Mavericks OS X 10.9.5

2012 15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i7 - 16GB RAM - 1TB SSD (624.52GB free) - Mavericks OS X 10.9.5

I recently upgraded to the Nikon D810 and ever since, my Adobe LR 5, Photoshop CS6, and Bridge are super slow. PS is now crashing and freezing and it's too the point where simple tasks like writing a document up in Word cause the systems to slow tremendously. My MBP is now heating up extensively to the point where the fan runs constantly unless I sleep the machine to cool it down. The iMac is tons better, but still really slow running those intensive programs. I do only keep those three open at a time and close everything else out. I also delete photos from iPhoto and LR constantly and leave everything on externals.

I have several Photoshop plug ins, Including Portraiture, the Flaming Pear Flood, Rad Lab, etc.

I have a ton of brushes loaded, as well as actions.

I don't know if it is my systems or the fact that the images on the D810 are soooo large. I've recently been thinking about getting a Mac Pro, it has the ability to be upgraded even further, but at a huge, hefty price.

I've tested both macs using the Apple hardware tests and everything checks out fine. I've reset the SMC and PRAM. Cleaned out the fonts, cleaned off the desktops. Gosh I have no clue what else would help! And apple just says if the machine checks out, it's got to be the Adobe products and they don't have anyone in Support that will help me with them.

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for me before I fork out a ton of money on that Mac Pro? I feel like my configurations should still be good for many years to come.

Edited by jsiegel

I'm wondering if it's the plugins? Some plugins can really take up system resources. Not sure if the brushes do anything either. But since the problem started when you upgraded to your D810, we might want to start there. Oh, I wouldn't load Word until we figure out what is causing the problem. It's system resource related, that's for sure.

By default, Raw files are 77MB...each. So if you are using a lot of actions that duplicate the pixel layers and then flatten, duplicate, do stuff, then flatten...it's possible that your images are ballooning in size. Also, how many images do you typically have open at once? Do you do a lot of batching? 

Another thought, do you have any other software loaded, like the Devil's Spawn, also known as "MacKeeper?"

Mac Pros are EXPENSIVE. Believe it or not, Photoshop runs SLOWER on a Mac Pro than a high-end iMac. LOL!! The reason is, just like Photoshop isn't programmed to take advantage of the Mac Pro's architecture that makes it so fast. If you were doing video, animation or even music mixing and such, THEN you need a Mac Pro.

Let's start out with one image. Write down the Raw file size then do you usual edits in LR. Then import it to Photoshop and do your normal edits. Save the .psd file. Then check the file size. You could also switch to a "Document Size" view to see how large the .psd file is. For example:

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 12.06.14 PM.png

Just remember to change it back to "Document Profile."

I'm thinking if you have 400-500+ MB image files, times that by the number you have open...is causing your issues. This is why I jump up and down so much when it comes to the D810. It's a fantastic camera, produces awesome images, but you N-E-E-D the infrastructure in place to support those huge files.

Oh goodness...my wallet (and hubby) thank you tremendously for mentioning that Photoshop is slower on the Mac Pro! I've got some photos to start editing, that I've been putting off. I didn't want to smash the thing with a sledge hammer. Haha. I'll start editing those and go from there. 

I usually open 3-4 images at a time, but lately I can only have 1 open. And I do some batching, not a lot. No MacKeeper, although I noticed my kiddo has that on his MBP. Is that not a good thing?

So I started out with an image that is 103.4M. Adding actions and duplicating layers and whatnot balloons it to 413.7M. But after I am done with a particular action, I flatten it and it goes back to the 103.4M. I never save as a PSD, I only save the final as an original size JPEG (and as a smaller size web photo). So the finished TEST one, even saved as a PSD file (still flattened in processing a time or two) was still at the 103.4M finished size.

Stay on Mavericks. You have enough problems as it is. El Capitan is a whole other can of worms. DO NOT UPGRADE.

MacKeeper is EVIL!!! It causes all sorts of problems and that is one program that I avoid at all costs. MacKeeper promises to do all sorts of things and scan for viruses etc. It's a bunch of BS. Plus, it stores logins and passwords from your computer on its servers. I ask, why does MacKeeper need my login info for my bank and other secure things? Things that make you go, "Hmmm..."

Just Google "MacKeeper Problems" and a bunch of results will popup. Like I said, MacKeeper is the "Spawn of the Devil." I would un-install it. Like now.

I think it's the 414 MB file size that's killing you. So at any given time, you could have a Gig or two of RAM dedicated to photos. Then add LR & PS, then Word, all your plugins, fonts, brushes loaded into memory...and you have a unhappy Mac on your hands. The reason that the iMac seems to be better, is it has 32GB of RAM and more horsepower overall.

I hate to say this, but you might be looking at buying a high-end iMac as a solution. You don't need the Mac Pro, but you do need a "Superfast iMac." I'd head to Apple.com and start with the $2299 iMac.

• Bump up the CPU to 4.0GHz
  • Increase the RAM to 16GB
  • Choose the 3TB Fusion Drive
  • Choose the AMD Radeon with 4GB of Video Memory

You should be at $3099 before the cost of AppleCare.

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 1.04.58 PM.png

Why only purchase 16GB from Apple?

Because you are going to buy a RAM kit from Crucial.com to bump it up to 32GB for less than $100 instead of paying $600.

Why the 3TB Fusion Drive instead of the 1TB Flash Drive?

Because a filled 1TB Flash Drive isn't going to do you any good. You have a D810 and large files are a part of the game. Of course, you could get a Thunderbolt 2.0 EHD with 6TB of space, but that's going to cost you an extra $1000, conversationally speaking. I'm trying to protect your wallet.

Now before you go spending $3100 on a new iMac, let's check PS Performance settings. Here is a screen shot of my PS settings, you might want to do some fiddling in there. Open PS, head to the Photoshop Menu and select Performance. You want to make sure your Memory usage is around 70% on your iMac with 32GB. Heck, aim a little higher at 75%.

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 1.14.22 PM.png

Great thank you!! I was thinking it had a lot to do with the files. So, I do edit a lot on the MBP, what do you recommend for it? I do want a laptop that I could use in a pinch!

Click OK to save the settings. Now lets check your scratch disks. Are things being utilized correctly? Are all the HDs that are supposed to be used for Photoshop's Scratch Disk checked?

In addition, you might want to UN-CHECK the "Use Graphics Processor" Checkbox and restart PS. While this setting is supposed to help speed things up, it also causes issues. So try turning it off and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, you can always turn it back on.

Lower your Cache Tile size to 256K. History States should be 50. Check the Checkbox next to the My Book 4TB for a Scratch Disk. Let Photoshop use "22403," which is the maximum. Click OK. Restart Photoshop. Try editing things and see if it gets better. If not, turn off "Use Graphics Processor" and restart PS. Rinse and Repeat.

If things still don't work, put things back to the way they were and restart PS. I might move this thread to the "Land of the Misfit Toys" for other people's input if things don't improve. Buying a new iMac will be the last option.

@Brian Still have the same issues. I believe it's just the large images and Photoshop working too hard because the MBP heats up so quickly. Last time I spoke with Apple they suggested I send it in to have the thermal paste replaced with new. So I think I might try that to see if it helps. The iMac seems to be running okay after making the changes, but Photoshop still seems to lag. I'm in portrait photography, so the images on my D810 don't need to be as large as they are, I might take down the image size in camera for a bit and see if that helps as well. My systems are fairly newer, 2012 and in fantastic shape so I don't really want to replace if I don't absolutely have to. Although...the faster processor and Retina 5K sound pretty tempting. :) 

@Brian So I've tried messing with my camera settings, but I've discovered that the issue might lie with Preview. I had been using preview to view images when culling. Within 30 minutes of turning the computer on, the temperature spiked up. Preview was the only thing open. Fans kicked on and stayed on, until I closed preview down and then put the system to sleep.

If I do go ahead and purchase the new system with a little bit better specs, can I immediately erase the hard drive and install Mavericks through my Time Machine Backup? I really don't want El Capitan. 

image1.PNG

Let's try using Nikon's viewer, ViewNX, which is free and see what happens. 

The 27" iMacs have a access panel that allows end users to install RAM without voiding their warranty. 

That said, if you screw up installing your RAM, Apple won't cover the repairs under warranty. (Duh!) However, I've never had a member screw up to the point they have broken anything. Even Moms that have 4 year olds "helping." It's not a big deal. 

The second thing I want to bring up is if Apple finds out you have 3rd party RAM (e.g. Crucial, Kingston, etc.) they will blame every single stinking problem on the RAM.

Mouse battery died? Oh it's the Crucial RAM. Computer won't power on? Oh, it's the Crucial RAM. Even though the surge protector was switched off, it was the Crucial RAM that cast a magic spell on you forcing to turn off the surge protector. Of course, I'm being a little silly, but I'm serious about Apple blaming everything on 3rd party RAM, which is complete BS. So if you ever talk to Apple, just keep your mouth shut. :)

No, Apple RAM isn't magical or better. Just extremely overpriced. 

I'm wondering if Apple's previewer is trying to render the D810 files at 100%. Apple's image programs (iPhoto and now Photos,) never worked really well. A D810 file-sizes might be too large for the Previewer program. So again, let's try ViewNX or a similar program before forking out money for a whole computer. 

Oh, every new 27" iMac is 5K. You don't have a choice in the matter. :/

@Brian So, using the Nikon Viewer did seem to help somewhat. I'm still wondering if that thermal paste needs replaced, because it still gets really hot. One more quick question, sorry if this has been posted somewhere else! So for editing, do you solely recommend the iMac? I've found out that even if I buy a new mac, I will not be able to restore from my Time Machine Backup, therefore I have no choice but to go to El Capitan since that is what the new systems ship with. So if all else fails, I'm wondering if you recommend any type of PC? I know that a PC can get the same specs for a lot cheaper, you can purchase a 5K monitor, and have a system custom built. Do you think that something I should look into at all? Thanks in advance!

I recommend whatever machine gets the job done. Except using a laptop for photo-editing. I still won't ever recommend doing that. That could be a Mac, or a Windows machine.

The thing will Apple these days, they want you to "Go Big or Go Home." Skip the 21.5" iMacs. They are now a complete waste of money. Start with the 27" models. A "Superfast" configuration will run you about $3100 total, give or take a few hundred. 

It's very possible that the Thermal Paste needs to be replaced. A little goes a LONG way. Too much paste is actually worse than having too little. It's not something you want caked/globbed on the CPU. 

Now as far as going forward to a new Mac. You don't need Time Machine. Sure, TM makes things easy, but with all the quirks and problems with El Capitan, especially when it comes to Adobe's products, I really recommend installing things fresh. Of course, that is a tedious process. 

As for a Windows machine, check the threads in the Windows forum. I've answered that question a bunch of times already. Since you have a D810, you are looking for a Mid-Range Gaming unit. 32GB RAM. Large HDs, i7 CPUs. Beefy video card. I actually seriously thought about getting a D810 and configured a self-built PC to handle those D810 files. I stopped at $2700. LOL!

Granted, I had more horsepower than a Mac, but price-wise they ended costing about the same. Since the Mac OS doesn't nearly have the bloat that comes with Windows, it's more efficient. So you really don't NEED all the extra hardware, because it's not Windows. When it comes to Apple, you play by their rules or you don't play. Windows tries to be everyone's friend, which may or may not be a good thing. 

Bottom Line: Pick your poison. They all suck. I will say it will be more of a pain going back to Windows, since a Windows OS won't read Mac HDs. 

@Brian Thank you for being honest, as a custom build is just as high as the new iMac. I'd rather not change! The firmware in the new model of macs do not allow you to recover your TM backup if the OS X is Mavericks. You also are unable to erase the HD and boot from a bootable Mavericks USB Drive for a clean install. If you purchase now, your stuck with that stupid El Capitan!