Help on how to remove a flare, please?

Laurie Solle

Hi there!  I'm fairly new to Photoshop and very eager to up my game.  I asked for help in another group with this photo, and someone messaged me and directed me here...to you!  I am thrilled to have found you and intend to check out all that you have to offer!

In the meantime, any suggestions for removing this flare?

Britt flare-1.jpg

I do not know what "raw editing" is to understand what you need me to send you.  Do you mean the editing I did in Lightroom only?  The image that I sent above was imported from my camera into Lightroom and then exported to a jpeg.  I've attached the file with Lightroom edits only.

flare before Ps-1.jpg

I do not know what "raw editing" is to understand what you need me to send you.  Do you mean the editing I did in Lightroom only?  The image that I sent above was imported from my camera into Lightroom and then exported to a jpeg.  I've attached the file with Lightroom edits only.

Here is the jpeg of the problem area.

flareonly.jpg

I didn't mean to send you that comment again; I don't understand how this conversation deal works to know how to start a new box, so I just added it to the last one.  

I only meant to send you the jpeg of the problem area as you asked.

First, add a Channel Mixer layer.  On the Red Output Channel, enter 0, +60, +60, +12 for the four values.

Then mask that layer to the flare area (and a little more around, to blend it in to the surrounding skin).

Then add the two layers of the Handyman Method, and start patiently working to finalise the fix.  Take your time - work with low opacity brushes.  This is slow work if you want to do it well.

This is what your layers panel will look like:

sunflare2.thumb.jpg.a6a0048e1ff4936316217e1264f93a41.jpg

Wow...okay.  Channel Mixer layers are brand new to me, as is dodging and burning, although at least I've heard of that...will have to add it to my list of Ps things to learn.  Thank you.

Since I first wrote to you, I ended up fixing the flare problem with a hand swap from a similar photo and delivered the gallery.

There's more info about dodge and burn here: https://www.damiensymonds.net/simple-dodge-and-burn-tutorial.html

And it's included in this video: https://www.damiensymonds.net/liquify-demonstration-cloning-dodge-burn.html

And you can learn about Channel Mixer here: https://www.damiensymonds.net/channel-mixer-class