Monitor Brightness

I remember the days when one adjusted the contrast and the brightness on a monitor to achieve the correct calibration (on Samsung monitors anyway or was it done in Photoshop?). Now, when I calibrate, I seem to only be adjusting the brightness levels only. I’ve owned versions 3, 4 & 5 of Spyder Pro but, to be honest, I really never fully understood the correct procedure for calibrating until I came across your tutorial. For example, I never shut off all lights before calibrating.  I bought Spyder Pro for colour accuracy but I sometimes wonder if my brightness levels are too low. I adjust them to the indicated suggested target of 120 (I note you suggest a lower level), which result in my monitors to having a brightness level of 20.  I’ve been using Dell monitors and just recently upgraded my current monitors to Dell U2413 models. In your experience, does a monitor brightness level of 20 seem reasonable?

12 minutes ago, G Holmes said:

I adjust them to the indicated suggested target of 120 (I note you suggest a lower level), which result in my monitors to having a brightness level of 20.

The number on the screen's setting (20) has absolutely no correlation with the brightness reading.

120 is ALWAYS too high, unless your room is lit by football stadium floodlighting.

14 minutes ago, G Holmes said:

In your experience, does a monitor brightness level of 20 seem reasonable?

VERY reasonable, yes.  Some people go into single digits (some screens even need their brightness set to 0!) but generally, the 10-30 range is most common.

But of course the only thing that actually matters is the print comparison.  Does your screen match your pro lab prints?