Ngaroto Milky Way

MandieS

I'm not happy with the auto photomerge on this one :( The horizon is good, a couple might need just a bit of moving, but the milky way is straight not arched. I also tried with the Geometric Distortion Correction ticked but then the milky way was good but the horizon was arched!
There are probably a couple of pics I can hide but thought I'd wait til I'd checked in here.
Any suggestions please?

Ngaroto 1.jpg

Great.  So delete any of the layers you haven't used, then select all the layers, and Layer>Convert to Smart Object.  This will, as the name says, combine all the layers into one smart object.

Then you can Edit>Transform>Warp (or any other kind of transformation, maybe perspective might be good too?) and go nuts.

Yeah at the top of the milky way? Any where else that you can see?

What's the best way to fill the gaps around the edges - I don't really want to crop it down much if I can help it because of the composition?

Thanks

1 hour ago, MandieS said:

Yeah at the top of the milky way?

Yep.

Any where else that you can see?

I don't think so, but there are two ways I'd check.  First, I'd look at each channel.  Second, I'd add a Levels layer and slowly drag the white slider in aggressively.  Between those two methods, you should be able to spot any hard edges.

What's the best way to fill the gaps around the edges - I don't really want to crop it down much if I can help it because of the composition?

Well, I guess try Content Aware Fill first.  If that fails, then it's just careful cloning, sorry.

Posted in levels.

This merge didn't work as well as my first with the milky way pretty much end up a straight diagonal line! Would this be because I only used shots from the high/mid point and not any from the left side of the milky way, so the merge couldn't read the overall shape?

42 minutes ago, MandieS said:

Posted in levels.

This merge didn't work as well as my first with the milky way pretty much end up a straight diagonal line! Would this be because I only used shots from the high/mid point and not any from the left side of the milky way, so the merge couldn't read the overall shape?

Yeah, maybe you're right.  I don't know, to be honest.

• Like 1